Help - hotpoint wm63 causing elec to trip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Originally my machine tripped out the electric after filling at the beginning of a program. I had a split in the door seal right by the door switch so I ordered a new door switch and seal. I fitted them tonight and turned the dial to spin. It kicked into life and spun like a dream and finished the program. All happy with myself I fitted the covers back to the machine and went and got a big load of washing. Filled up the machine and turned on it on. It filled up with water and then - TRIP - the RCD went on the fuse board and were back to square one???
I reset the RCD and turned the dial to spin to empty the machine but it tripped again!!

Could it be the heater? I am very close to biting the bullet and calling someone out - but I dont like being beaten!!

Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Yes, it does sound like the heater but sometimes when these fail it is because the drum bearings have failed, allowing the edge of the drum to cut through the metal sheath of the heater. You can check by disconnecting the heater and seeing if it still trips. The heater connections are behind a black plastic cover, just below the door seal on the front of the outer drum.

Hi,

I have replaced the heater but you are right it was damged by the edge of the drum.
I am ordering some bearings for the drum - Are they easy to fit? I assume you need to remove the motor.
Can all the work be done from the rear or do you have to remove the front?

Would you reccomend that the drum suspension is changed at the same time? - How do you know when this needs replacing?

To change the bearings you take the cabinet front off then the front plate of the outer drum. You take off the drum pulley locknut then the pulley, which is also threaded. Knock the drum shaft through using a hide hammer or similar and take out the inner drum. You can now drift out the old bearings, clean up the housing and drift in new bearings. Check the bronze bush at the base of the drum shaft as this can get scored or damaged by the broken bearing. If this bush is damaged you need to also renew the whole drum spider which is bolted to the drum.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back