Bosch Logixx 7 washing machine tripping house RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Tonight, half way through a wash load all our power to the house went out, the RCD was tripped. I nailed it down to the washing machine. With the power on to the washer (no program selected) the RCD is fine however as soon as I turn the program dial to anything the RCD trips again.

Any clues / tips as what to do next?

Cheers
Daz

Sponsored Links
"Logixx" is a series description, we need the E-number on the door sticker to identify exactly which model you have.
That said; a common cause of this problem is an earth fault on the heater element. You could try disconnecting the heater leads, insulate the spades well & tuck them out of the way of moving parts. If it doesn't trip your rcd when you try a cycle then you've found the cause.

Cheers Zipper but in order to look in the door I'd flood about 10 litres of water on to the kitchen floor....okay a bit of an exaggeration but I'd prefer to avoid if possible.

Do you have a location of the heater element spades of a service manual I can download to locate them?

As I said in my post the RCD trips even when selecting a program so does the heater element power up on any program select ?

Daz

Must add, although I doubt it's relevant, but we removed the soap dispenser drawer and gave it a good clean as the softener portion was blocked full of gunge!

Sponsored Links
So your machine is standing there full of water?
Then you need to read your user manual.....namely the paragraph regarding "emergency emptying".
You won't get a service manual because they are trade only.....& without an E-number I can't help you further.

Hi Zipper,

You're quite correct. I've emptied the washing machine and have opened the door. the E.Nr is WIS28440GB/20

Can you give me the next steps I should try.

Thanks
Daz

Thanks Zipper.

I removed the two connectors of the heating element (I left the earth connected), turned her on and the panel lights up. Does that mean that the heating element needs to be replaced?

Cheers
Daz

I've removed all the cables and the display is showing F:37 code. I guess this would be normal?

If it is the element how is it removed?

Hi Zipper,

I managed to pick up a new element and install it. Turned the washing machine on, selected spin and press start. RCD blew again!

It seems as soon as the door locking mechanism clicks to lock that it blows the RCD.

What can I do now? I've already spent £45.00 on a new element.

Cheers
Daz

You got the F37 error because the heater NTC was disconnected. A defective door switch would normally throw up an F16 error.
I suggest you take a good look at both door switch & pcb. Check the door switch for scorching & a shorted connection plug. Then inspect the pcb closely for blown tracks/fried components. If the door switch is shorted it can damage the pcb & the triac that fires the switch. The pcb is in the control panel behind the LCD screen. Take photos or mark the connection plugs well before disconnecting anything.

The door switch was fine, no visible blown marks, etc. as is the main control PCB. That all appears fine as well.

With the power on I can select any program but as I press start and the door interlock kicks in that's when the RCD trips. Is there any way of bypassing the interlock switch to see if it at fault?

Faulty door switches don't normally result in a tripped rcd. A pcb damaged by a shorted door switch could in some cases. Tracking down an earth fault requires a 500v megger, which you obviously don't own. Have you got any electrician friends? Often this type of fault boils down to the heater element but virtually any electrical component can fail to ground. I can't tell you how to bypass a door interlock for obvious reasons & it wouldn't do any good anyway as the switch isn't what is causing the rcd to trip. It could be a low IR reading on the motor because of carbon dust or maybe dampness in one of the other components. Without a 500v megger it is only speculation.

no idea what a 500v megger is but I do own a decent digital multimeter. I think we can rule out the element since its now been replaced and test without it being connected. I pulled out the connector block to the door interlock but that simply resulted in the machine bleeping at me when I pressed start!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back