Bosch wft 2806gb-13 Washer Dryer tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just got a call from the missus saying that the washing machine seems to be tripping the RCD. Have got her to move program to rinse cycle and it has not tripped, as soon as it goes to wash cycle the RCD trips. Do you think it is the heating element? Note it is cold fill only so cannot turn temp and not use element. Also is it easy to get at on this model? Is a valid test to put a multimeter across it and I guess I will be getting a short or HR

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Certainly sounds like a heater earth fault. Not a difficult job to change if it is. Remove back cover, resistance on a good element should be around 25 ohms. You may be able to read some earth leakage with a multimeter on a high scale but normally a megger test is a more reliable method. To remove the heater element take off the connections to the element & NTC. Slacken off the 10mm nut & press in the threaded bolt in a little. You ought to be able to lever it out with 2 screwdrivers or small tyre levers. Fitting is the reverse. Be sure to drain out any water before removing the element.

Cheers, will have a go at it tonight when I get home from work. Not got access to a mega tonight (but can borrow one). Will check it and report back. Seen them on the auction site for around the £17 mark so not to bad.

Thanks again

If your element is shot be sure to take a peek in the hole where it sits before installing a new one. A rogue bra wire can easily cause element damage.

Sponsored Links
Resistance is 25ohms, however i do have 5 megohms & 4.2 megohms to earth. Was a struggle to get out, as the element goes through a metal loop around halfway through its length and I guess it had gunged itself onto it. Have had a scrape around with a coathanger to check for any foreign objects and cleared as much of the gunge that I could.

Thanks

I take it you measured 5 Mohm with a multimeter & not a 500v megger? I would expect a good element megger tested cold at 500v DC to hold an IR value of min 50 Mohm. If you only have 5 Mohm with a multimeter then it it liable to be a flat earth at 500v DC. Remember this is a value measured at room temp with an instrument that only puts out a few volts. When heat is introduced into the equation IR values can drop steeply. You need to change the element. BTW...did you notice any scratching on the outer surface of the element that could indicate damage caused by a foreign object? The metal loop you observed keeps the element from moving around & coming into contact with the drum. Make sure the new element sits firmly in the steel loop when fitting. Good luck :D

Yes only a multimeter, havent messed with a mega since the days of pyro fire alarm installs. As you say more than likely very dead. The one I have took out was covered in gunge but no G cup wires (unfortunately!!).

All fixed, and back up and running. New element installed, thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back