Hotpoint RD1176JDUK no power keeps tripping out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My washer suddenly stopped working about 10 minutes into a wash cycle. When I plug it back in it trips out the rcd and the machine doesn't light or anything. I checked the washer heating element and I couldn't get any continuity with the multi-meter.
When I removed the element it was horrendously rusty, the washers just over 2 years old.
I have a new element on it's way but would a dead heating element cause it to trip out ? and would the washer still power up before tripping out with the old element installed ?. Is there anything else I can check before trying the new one.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
"would a dead heating element cause it to trip out ? and would the washer still power up before tripping out with the old element installed "
Yes, as if it is shorted to the body of the element & thus earth, it trips the rcd, but it does not get an electrical supply when first switched on until it has finished taking in water.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...ower-keeps-tripping-out.547159/#ixzz6PSCnApO9

Thanks for the reply, the link you posted ? Read more: is that meant to take me to another thread with a similar problem ? it just takes me to this thread. thats the state of what I pulled out

Attachments

• 20200615_203908.jpg
    20200615_203908.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
It seems to have happened when I copied & pasted part of your post in order to quote you. I don't know why, you would need to ask the mods..

Sponsored Links
I ordered the correct part using the washer dryer serial number and ordered from Hotpoint. I tried to fit it but no matter how flush I inserted the element or how hard pushed to keep it tight to the tub while turning the element won't stay in so as I tighten and push towards the tub it just slowly pushes back out.

The tub were the gasket sits is roughly 5mm but the rubber gasket doesn't want to stay in. It's as if there should be a retaining clip of some sort in inside the drum keeping it in situe while you tighten it up compressing the gasket.
Here's a pic of the inside of the heater element slot. There are 2 plastic lugs sticking up half way down and a metal half moon ball thing at the front I'm not sure both their purposes. Am I missing some kind of retaining clip which intern stops the element from pushing back out ? And what's the metal half ball at the front for ? temp ?

Attachments

• 20200617_120500.jpg
    20200617_120500.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 211
  • 20200617_132722.jpg
    20200617_132722.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 20200617_132909.jpg
    20200617_132909.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Not sure if this is the same as yours as I cannot tell anything from your pics. but your description sounds similar.

It's the same process as the video (thanks). Some guides mention a clip inside the tub say similar to a grill in the roof of an oven to stop the element from potentially flapping about.
In your you tube theres no mention of any retaining slot or clip. So am I right in assuming the gasket alone with keep it in place ? Well for this particular model ? RD1176JDUK

Seems like the element I received was the wrong one. I now have the correct element and it fitted in minutes without a hitch. Although the 2 elements look near identical it's the actual shape of the gasket that has to fit like a glove.
Although lots of sellers of spare parts do not list this as fitting the Hotpoint washer dryer RF1176JDUK I can confirm that this 100% fits
https://parts.hotpoint.co.uk/product/washing_machine/heaters-elements/C00279904

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back