Hotpoint Aquarius WD440 trips RCD when heat used in wash

• Thread starter danielson23uk
  • Start date
D

danielson23uk

Hi all,

I've had a series of problems with this washer that all appeared to happen at once. First I had all lights flashing when turning on. Then they'd stop and allow me to put on a wash. After 5 mins the RCD would repeatedly trip until the first drain. This did not happen if I did a cold wash so I presumed it was the heater element cutting in to heat the water.

I resolved the flashing lights by replacing the C17 capacitor.

I replaced the heater element to resolve the RCD tripping when the machine tried to heat the water, but it didn't work.

The RCD still trips with a new element so I am now in new territory. How easy is it for me to test/replace the relay? After what you guys have already taught me I'm happy to give it go but need a heads up where to start. Any advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
disconect the dryer emement and see if it trips if no then dryer element knacked ,and yes i know it happens on wash not dry .

Thanks rocks1. I'll try and let you know how I get on.

I disconnected the dryer element wires and taped them up (separately).
The RCD still trips when the heater control is turned up to any temp.

I really begrudge paying for a new machine when this is looks like just a simple wiring issue!

Sponsored Links
is the earth wire on the heater in the middle and not on the ends of the heater.also put it on no heat and try a wash does it still trip

If you mean the dryer heater - it is in the middle of the housing.

It doesn't trip on 'No Heat'.

No I now mean the wash heater did you put the wires on right. Earth on the middle tab. When you put it on wash put the var temp knob on no heat. Not the dryer one. If it don't trip then the new heater is faulty.

I took a photo of the wiring before removing the old element and replaced them as per the old one.

It does NOT trip the RCD when the var temp nob is on "No Heat". I can't believe that the replacement has the same fault. I'm more inclined to believe the original element wasn't the problem in the first place.

Do the same thing with the wires removed from the element & insulated with tape. If it still does you are correct it is not the element, if it not then it must be faulty.

Right. An update.

I did have it wired up wrong so I've moved the earth to where it should be. RCD still trips but all the strobing lights have stopped. oops :oops:

I removed the wires from the wash heater element and it didn't trip the RCD so I started to wonder whether the new element was faulty.

A friend of mine (electrician) came round and tested the elements with a multimeter. The wash heater element measured 31.1 ohms. The dryer heater element measured 44 ohms. So both appeared ok.

But now the machine trips the RCD when var heat controller is turned to an arbitrary setting but then continues to trip even after I have turned the var to "No Heat".

Tried a different socket - same result. Missus has got a new one ordered and I'm desperate to cancel the order cos I'm convinced this is fixable.

Thermostat fault? RCD fault? Main board f*&ked from my replacing the C17 capacitor? Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

Wat was the earth reading by the electrician did he use a mega. Poss heater down to earth. Try this disconnect the earth wire on the heater and tape it up. Only do this temporary does it trip.

Still tripped with the heater earth taped. Now moved on to the dryer heater earth taped. Will let you know.

Don't remember the earth reading. Not sure he took it.

I disconnected the earth for the dryer heater housing..... my goodness it didn't like that and tripped all over the place like a Norman Wisdom film.

I've now replaced all earths.

So in summary:

If the program starts with heat - it trips and continues to even after you've changed the var to "no heat".

If the program starts on "no heat" it runs perfectly through the program without tripping. But of course, nothing is clean cos it's a cold wash.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back