LG Washing machine tripping electric when plugged in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lg direct drive F1256QD.
As soon as i plug in my washing machine it is tripping the RCD fuse.

i have disconnected the heat element and it stops tripping when i plug it in. If i change the heat element will it sort the problem? any ideas?
can anyone help me please

Sponsored Links
Not really familiar with LG machines & usually the element is not supplied as soon as you plug a machine in. It would normally switch on when the machine had filled with water. It could be your problem but it sounds like you may have other parts that have failed at the same time.If the element is not expensive it might be worth a try.

If it was neutral to earth I would not have thought it would stop tripping the rcd with the element disconnected as the neutral is usually common to several components. The elements usually break down to earth as they warm up. A simple resistance test with a multimeter checking the element terminals to the casing will prove it if it is a hard on fault.

Sponsored Links
Possible but rare.

If the insulation in the element has failed and the heating wire inside the element is in contact with the metal sheath of the element then there is a Neutral to Earth fault which is also a Live to Earth fault if the live supply is connected. If the heating wire has broken and only one side of the break is in contact with the sheath then it can be either Live to Earth or Neutral to Earth but not both

Completely agree with you Bernard, but in my experience it is rare for the neutral side to go to earth, perhaps I have just been lucky. Had the same with kettles & immersion heaters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back