help how to balance the 25m long manifold using "thinkl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a question regarding the heating system. I have a greenhouse, and the pipe 80mm enters and it branches off left and right for 25 meters. On each branch there is 30 smaller branches with loops 28mm each 60m long.

I have designed it with triple branch pipe to balance it hydraulically, so the last loop has the same head loss as the first one, as the water passes the same route length.

Now i know there is a principle, someone said to me the name maybe "Thinklemahn" or "Ticklemahn" where the pipes that feeds (the branch) the loops reduces in size gradually, and return pipe increases in size from the last loop towards the first loop and the main return pipe. Therefore we are using only two pipes instead of three.

Can anyone identify the principle for me, so i can Google it or find some link with info for me PLEASE?

Thanks all,

John

Sponsored Links
This could prove interesting :eek:

What you are talking about is an old one pipe (ladder)system,

You may have two flows for example say 2" then they reduce in size, as you branch off on each floor.

The return usually on the other side of the floor, (picture a big ladder) increases as it goes back to the boiler, up to where the 2 x 2" join into a common 21/2".

As I said picture a ladder, the left being the flow reduces at each rung, the right increases with each rung.

What I should have said, in your case you should have a reverse return.

Hi,

I have a question regarding the heating system. I have a greenhouse, and the pipe 80mm enters and it branches off left and right for 25 meters. On each branch there is 30 smaller branches with loops 28mm each 60m long.

John

This could prove interesting :eek:

You may have two flows for example say 2" then they reduce in size, as you branch off on each floor.

A GREENHOUSE with two floors ???

Tony

I was explaining how it works, in relation to the OP's question Tony

You have a reducing flow, and an increasing return

Sponsored Links
Now i know there is a principle, someone said to me the name maybe "Thinklemahn" or "Ticklemahn" where the pipes that feeds (the branch) the loops reduces in size gradually, and return pipe increases in size from the last loop towards the first loop and the main return pipe. Therefore we are using only two pipes instead of three.
I think you mean a Tichelmann layout.

View media item 1210
In contrast to the more traditional layout, the return pipe goes round the system in the opposite direction to the flow pipe. The advantage of the Tichelmann layout is that the differential pressure is the same across each radiator, which makes balancing a no-brainer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back