Help - I Cant find a primer for wood before varnishing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Ive recently varnished a wooden window sill and the varnish started drying as I was applying it as the wood is very dry, the varnish went sticky and left nasty stroke marks.

Ive had to strip it off as it looks rubbish. I just cant find on the net a primer to use on wood before you apply a varnish (rather than a paint).

Is that what I need? How can i make the varnish go on smoothly? Im using Ronseal Varnish, can I simply water it down as it says brushes should be cleaned with water and detergent?

Please help :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't have stripped it, just waited until it was dry and sanded it back. That coat would then have acted as a primer.

Do it again but don't overbrush it. Just get it on quickly and leave it to dry. Then sand lightly and give it another couple of coats.

Hi

I just cant find on the net a primer to use on wood before you apply a varnish (rather than a paint).

Please help :rolleyes:

On bare wood you should thin the first coat of varnish, water if its a water based, or white spirit if its solvent based.
the thinned coat will raise the grain leaving a rough surface, lightly sand this down, dust off and wipe over with a rag damp with white spirit, let it dry then give 2 or 3 rounder (thicker) coats.
good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back