Varnish Water base over solvent sealer

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently laying a new pine floor and wish to get the look of a wax finished floor with the toughness of a varnished floor.

In order to achieve that look I have been recommended to use a solvent based sealer (to give the mellowing effect) then to overcoat it with Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Varnish.

I however notice on the tin of the Diamond Hard varnish that it should not be applied over a solvent based varnish until that has been allowed to age for at least 1 month. Does this ageing apply to a solvent based sealer as well or can the Diamond Hard varnish be applied as soon as the sealer has dried?

What would be the effect of applying the water based varnish over a solvent based product before it has aged a month?

Also can you recommend a suitable solvent based sealer as I cannot seem find a suitable product.

P.S. in case your wondering dispite numerous attempts I just can't get a decent looking finish using normal hardwax/oil products, always looks patchy and warn out :(

Sponsored Links
Cant see the point in using a solvent based sealer, then a water based system, I it gos wrong for whatever eason both companies will say your gaurentee is invalid.

Stick yo one paint and follow the instructions on the can.

There are pros and cons for using both...

Water based....hard wearing quick drying...odour will clear sooner.....but does not bring out the colour of the wood like oil

Oil based....hard wearing...slower drying....strong odour that may linger fr a good while....brings out the colour of the wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back