HELP I HAVE A TINGLING FEELING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im not sure if this should be posted here or not but saw this forum and thought you guys might be able to help me. My tv is plugged in to a surge protector along with a sky box, dvd player,dvd recorder and a media streamer. Today i went to move some bits around when i got a tingling feeling. Not a shock but scary enough to remove my hand. What i would like is a device that will tell me what of the items is causing this so i can replace it.

Thanks For any help

Richard

Sponsored Links
does the surge protector have a moulded or removable plug?

If removable, open it and make sure that the green and yellow wire is connected properly.

Devices that you describe may have a functional earth / leakage current which would be present on any of the metal cases if the CPC had become disconnected.

Hi it has a moulded plug and its a belkin device called pure av. On it are a green (protected) and yellow light (earth) and both are on.

Where was your hand?
If it was at the back of the sky box then you probably touched the plug of the cable to your dish, quite usual for it to give you a slight tingle as it carries power for the LNB.

Sponsored Links
Hi what exactly were your hands on when you got a tingling ?

You will feel a sensation if your touching any of the screens (aerial screen, scart screen, phono screens) and another metal object as the tv secondry side power supply is effectivly floating.
If you put a meter on and measure from the aerial screen to true earth or a radiator pipe etc you might get a reading of about 80v DC ish, but there is negliable current flow , so wont do you any harm.
Get a qualified engineer in your area to come and check it all out if your worried.

Mike

Thanks guys i did have one end of the scart in my hand. What meter would you guys recommend, just to check the levels are safe and at what level would you say its time to call for an engineer.

Thanks

Richard

When you get flung across the room is time to worry.

Seriously though, call a local TV repair company out if your worried about your safety.

The power supply in a tv set (switched mode) works at line rate i.e 15,625KHz, that gives the tingling feeling, There are safety isolating components between the primary and secondary side of a tv switched mode power supply, so raw mains cant get to you.
There will be a small amount of potential difference (voltage) between VCR, Skybox, TV etc when unconected, once connected up everything should be fine.

But electronic items can and do go wrong and might not always fail safe, so if this is worrying you get a reputable and competent person to PAT test the items in question, it will put your mind at rest.

Mike

P.S. A PAT tester is quite expensive, so its cheaper to get someone in to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back