Tingling feeling when touching applicances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think this is one for the appliances section but if it is, please move it!

I recently purchased a replacement tumble dryer - the previous one was a vented model, the new one is a condenser.

The previous one was sited directly next to the washing machine, and the new one is sited the same.

Both tumble dryers and the washing machine as far as i can tell are metal with plastic coating in structure.

Both washing machine and tumble dryers sit on a tiled floor.

Now, when i put my hands in both the washing machine and dryer and touch both drums i get a tingling feeling. both appliances are off from their switches, but NOT from the mains socket.
If i remove contact with one of the two appliances, no tingling...

I've never noticed this with the old tumble dryer, but then due to the way the doors were, i could not and did not realistically touch both... The old one is no longer available for me to test either.

So is there something wrong with one of the appliances? if so, whats the best method to identify which?

Sponsored Links
Could be a loose earth wire in either of the machines or the installation wiring.
Can you continuity check each appliance case to the respective earth pins on their plugs?
Can you check the sockets are earthed - use a wander lead from the main earth terminal to the socket and check for continuity? (I doubt you have a loop tester but this method may throw up an issue)

As suggested, but please stop touching the two drums to check for a tingle. If there is a developing problem you are putting your heart right in the path of any fault current.

Sponsored Links
I appreciate it is an old thread but i realized i didn't update. with an outcome.

Checked the differences with a multimeter on the body of both appliances, there was a difference.

Traced back the leads to the plug sockets, the washing machine is plugged into an old multi plug.

Removed the multi plug and checked again, 0v difference...

I can only assume the multi plug was doing something it shouldn't/ or not providing something it should! Either way its in the bin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back