Weird fused spur setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a 6 year old house. In the utility room are spaces for washing machine and tumble dryer. Above the washer is a FCU and directly below this are two trailing sockets coming out of the wall (one slightly longer than the other to reach over to the space for the dryer). Initially I wasn’t sure if this was normal or not but I was only plugging in a washer for the time being whilst the other went unused. I knew being a 13a FCU that i wouldn’t be able to run both a washer and dryer at the same time without blowing it.

Yesterday I got a tumble dryer and tested that the second trailing socket worked which was fine. Today I had finished with the washing machine and out of habit turned the switch off at the wall and threw the stuff in the dryer. It took me 10mins to realise that this second trailing socket was still supplying power to the dryer even with the wall switch turned off!

Had a nosy at the breakers and came to the conclusion that the washing machine runs off it’s own breaker. The tumble dryer is wired into the ‘kitchen sockets’ breaker so I can only assume it completely bypasses this FCU completely. Now my concern is that I have this trailing socket running underneath the cupboard that seems to be wired directly into a 32a circuit with no kind of fuse protection for the cable and no way of isolating the dryer when I’m finished with it (unless I turn off the power to the kitchen). I’m not an electrician but I’m fairly certain this shouldn’t be the case?

Are there any immediate dangers to running the dryer like this until I can get someone to look at it?

Sponsored Links
Does the socket not have a switch ?
Is it so inaccessible that you can't remove the plug from the socket ?
The circuit cable is protected at the consumer unit ,and the appliance cable by the fuse in the plug.
What exactly do you mean by " trailing" socket ?

It’s essentially two 1-gang extension leads coming out of the wall. One wired into the FCU and one seemingly wired straight into the ring. They’re both underneath a cupboard which I have to remove part of to access. If I had to unplug in an emergency I could.

I understand the dryer cable will be protected by the fuse and the circuit protected by the CU. My concern is this extension lead part that is wired into a 32a breaker doesn’t seem to have any protection if anything were to go wrong.

Is it an extension lead ,or a twin and earth cable wired into a socket that is fixed to the wall for your drier to plug into ? Twin and earth cable is flat in section ,and an extension lead is usually flex cable ,round in section.
Maybe you could post some pics ?

Sponsored Links
So I did a bit more investigating last night and I’ve determined that the setup for the washing machine is fine. It’s wired into the FCU and I can switch it off at the wall when I’m done.

I had a look behind the socket next to this FCU and found the extension lead for the tumble dryer (pic attached) wired into the back of this socket. So there doesn’t seem to be any fuse protection for the extension lead part? Should I be looking in to getting this sorted?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back