70 volt potential from appliances to earth

Ripped off or lack of knowledge, I can't say but I like the hob, oven and hood on one switch so that, when in a panic, you can switch off all of them without thinking.

Sponsored Links
I stand corrected, deepest apologies. Just wondering then, did the electrician who did my kitchen rip me off? There's 4 switch type things for the oven, hob, microwave and extractor? Hope I didn't shell out unnecessarily.
In the sense that, as you have been told, there is no regulatory requirement, I suppose it could be said that you had "shelled out unnecessarily", but very many people have/want such switches, and find their presence reassuring.

Kind Regards, John

Just had a look at the machines.

Washing machine nominal power 2300 watts, nominal current 10A. I'll take that as being when the heater is on.
Tumble dryer max power 2300 watts.

So both running at the same time, while the washing machine is heating, 20 amps. Just on the edge of a double socket. Looks like overload probably not a problem.

Electrician coming tomorrow anyway, so maybe he'll have an idea from looking at the socket. We've had both machines maybe 10 years, and when the kids were little we did a lot washing. Now the older one is away at Uni there'll be less. So whatever potential overload there's been, there's going to be less of it going into the future.

Thanks for you help folks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back