help i want to get rid of storage heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:idea: im looking for help on electric heating, ive got storage heater at the mo ,which are ok if your home all day, which we are not, ive been looking at oil heaters with a timer or panel with timer, but not sure which, we need them first thing in the morning and the evening, all i want is a warm home that i can control when its warm, any ideas would be great :D

Sponsored Links
I assume you're not on the mainz gaz zupply, howz about a oil fired combi boiler??

I thought that with economy 7 or flexi heat, it works out cheaper to run a decent storage heater, than an oil heater for a few hours?

My parents had old fashioned "off peak", the old version of white meter but better 'cos they got a jag of cheap leccy mid afternoon and it was live all weekend.

Anyway after much testing of units used per heater per hot/cold week etc they changed the whole house to thermostatically controlled oil filled radiators on timers, and did away with off peak.

They now reckon that the heat is much more controllable and, having now had the new system for over a year, the cost is more or less the same. This is with all leccy at standard rate rather than off peak/ peak rates.

They're retired now so generally speaking the heating is permanently on, perhaps it would be different if you are heating your house twice per day.

Hope this helps :)

Sponsored Links
Hi guys , there is no gas in my village, ive had storage heaters for years, i updated them a few years ago, but i hate them you carnt control the heat, the house is empty during the day, when the heat is there but runs out in the evening, also because they heat up at night the kids tell me its to warm and turn them off and then dont get heat for 24 hours
:(

:D thanks for that could you tell me what oil heaters your parents have, i just dont know the size heater for the size room,

...They now reckon that the heat is much more controllable and, having now had the new system for over a year, the cost is more or less the same. This is with all leccy at standard rate rather than off peak/ peak rates.

I got one of those energy measuring plug adaptor things - not the modern smart meter - it just works on a single socket - Maplin I think. Of course if you know the appliance's power rating and it's on all the time then you can work out consumption easily. But this helped with thermostat controlled heaters to work out their average consumption. Anyway, I spent a few day comparing using normal room heaters with my storage heaters and figured that there wasn't much in it in terms of cost. And I work from home. I stuck with the storage heaters in the end on grounds of convenience, but I adjust them every day depending on the forecast.

Of course the one thing that really makes a difference is better insulation if you can do that.

Back