Portable power bank: how long can I run a fan heater?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen you can get portable power banks for £300 say.
How long would one of these run a 500w fan heater?

I looked up the title of one on amazon:

256Wh LiFeP04 Battery/ 1 Hour Fast Charging, Up To 600W Output, Solar Generator (Panel Not Inc.) for Outdoor Camping/RVs/Home Use

Not sure what the numbers mean

I wanted to give to someone who works from a storage space where there is no electricity (and where there is zero insulation - so a fan heater is best)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
it says 600w but not longevity
you need total volume as in voltsxwxamps but suspect perhaps 10 minuets or there abouts as 500w is a massive draw
do you have a link

actually looking again at your description last 1min then be useless ??

ok wont go into the minutia or semantics untill full capacity is know
or am i misunderstanding this and no battery or ability to store power included ???
:giggle:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
or am i misunderstanding this and no battery or ability to store power included ???
256Wh LiFeP04 Battery
It is a 256 Watt hour battery - in ideal circumstances, it could provide 256W for an hour.
It could provide 500W for 1/2 an hour.

There will probably be losses in the inverter circuits that will reduce this time further.

ok thanks so off no use for intended use as insufficient capacity to power any high draw item for a ny time at all so good for lighting but not power or heat off any sort

thanks random grinch in my brain i assume perhaps 20% losses for conversion as i am not an expert but you need to over assume then work back as as failure needs to be at a sensible achievable level where it can only be a bit to a lot better in reality to put expections in the correct place

I wanted to give to someone who works from a storage space where there is no electricity (and where there is zero insulation - so a fan heater is best)
Calor Gas heater?

Thanks guys for the replies
My original question was how long would it run a 2KW heater - after doing some research, I changed to 500w.
The key part I guess is 256Wh.
So even if I got a 500Wh unit, it would ONLY run a 500w heater for 1 hour (and from what the comments say, this is unlikely to be a full hour!)

The actual item doesn't matter - the unit was one of the first ones to come up in an amazon search

@IT Minion "A heated body warmer will run happily all-day on a 10-20Wh battery bank"
Heated body warmer - that does sound good!
I'm definitely going to get one of these!

I've built set in an unheated self-storage place before and they're not the most pleasant spaces to work in.
If it's a place that has constant open air to the outside I'd be tempted to use a very small portable camping gas heater but you'd almost certainly not be allowed to store it there (and they might have rules about what you can use in the space too)

David.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Sponsored Links
Back