Help, I want to replace my Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Hope your all well, we've just managed to buy our first house and we're in the middle of decorating the house.

I've noticed that we seem to have 2 boiler controls, one is a really old Danfoss 102 & I have a honeywell thermostat at the top of the stairs... Pictures are attached.

IMG_7662.jpeg IMG_2698.jpeg

We have a worcester combi boiler I'm not 100% sure of the model as I'll have to climb into the attic.

My question is can I get rid of both of these control units and replace it with a digital control unit which controls the time & also the temp if so does anyone know which ones will be a simple replacement?

Thanks,

Scott

Sponsored Links
In theory yes, but it all depends how they are wired, where the cables run and if you are worried about the decor. The easiest / neatest way would probably be to use a Wireless Programmable Thermostat. The wired receiver would be mounted where the timeswitch currently is, and the wireless thermostat mounted where the existing thermostat is.

Alternatively, if you were to use a wired Programmable Thermostat, it would need to be located somewhere other than the kitchen. (I'm assuming that's where the timeswitch is now) The site of the existing thermostat would probably be best, but then you would have to site a junction box or blanking plate to house the connections where the timeswitch is now.

Or you could rip out all that exists and put in new controls and wiring direct from the boiler, probably the best solution in the long term.

A lot depends on the current method of wiring and cables installed, and how competent you are when it comes to understanding circuits.

Sorry this is a bit vague, but if you could post details / photos of the existing wiring and what goes where, someone will be able to offer you a more definitive answer.

Thanks for the reply Stem.

I'll take a look at what wires are where tonight and post some more updates but it should like the first option is going to be the easiest.

I'll be back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back