Replacing a room thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old Honeywell thermostat downstairs to control the temprature. Upstairs (in the airing cuboard) we have a digital programable control to turn on/off the c/heating & hot water.

We'd like to replace the Honeywell thermostat with a more modern digital model. There's 3 wires (red, yellow and blue) which go to pins 1, 2 & 3 on the back. Is this a fairly straight forward DIY job or should i get a professional in?

thanks in advance ;)

Sponsored Links
preecy

It's pretty straightforward with a bit of common sense and as long as you follow the new thermostat's installation instructions.

V

PS As you'll see, by coincidence, I started a new thread at about the same time as yours asking for advice on particular types of thermostat.

VictorDelta";p="1243965 said:
preecy

It's pretty straightforward with a bit of common sense

Its also fairly easy to electocute yourself if you dont know what your doing.
If you have a reasonable knowledge of electrics and a multimeter to check for safety it is fairly simple.

I would recommend a Honeywell programable roomstat.
Most likely red to terminal A Yellow to terminal B Tape up blue.
These would need to be confirmed with a multimeter but are the most comon configuration of room stat wiring

Sponsored Links
I have the same set up as the OP and am also wanting to change my dial thermostat to a digital one.

Can mrgas (or anybody else out there) explain why to go for a programmable roomstat when all the times are controlled by the existing timer in the airing cupboard?

I have the same set up as the OP and am also wanting to change my dial thermostat to a digital one.

Can mrgas (or anybody else out there) explain why to go for a programmable roomstat when all the times are controlled by the existing timer in the airing cupboard?

so you dont have to run up the stairs every time you want to change something on the central heating times, like if you get home an hour early or want to stay up to watch tele.

so you dont have to run up the stairs every time you want to change something on the central heating times, like if you get home an hour early or want to stay up to watch tele.

Oh i see :oops:

I am assuming i would have to leave the heating controller upstairs on "constant" then. How much more electric am i going to use though, as the little red inicator light is going to be on constantly :p

easy if you can trace what wire is doing what.dont pressume though.had one the other day unknown stat with no diagrams, were the earth was used as a switch live but different colour the other.fooked the programmer.even caught my sparky out.worst can happen is a flash bang.

... How much more electric am i going to use though, as the little red inicator light is going to be on constantly :p
Small LEDs (or even the old tiny neon lamps) use very little electricity indeed, so no need to worry - as long as things are not wired such that a pump etc is left running continuously all day.

You could alter the wiring in prog, remove wire from CH on (usually No4) and put it in the perm live (L), then you can leave CH off at programmer and save a fortune not using a LED ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back