Help identifying wiring box - Possibly BT connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I will shortly be having a new front door fitted, however I currently have a mystery black box attached to the frame of the current door (See below)

Can anyone identify the box? I have strong suspicions that its the junction box for the phone wiring connecting the outside line to the internal wiring. (Seem to remember the BT man was fiddling with it years ago when he fitted our NTE5)

The previous company who fitted the existing door didn't mind moving the box but is it better if I get BT involved this time if it is the phone junction box.

Any ideas.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That does indeed look suspiciously like the old style BT junction box.... Is that 2 wires coming out of the box on the left hand side? Looks like the old style BT wiring..

As to getting BT involved... Technically I think you have to as everything upto the NTE is theirs... Possibly more a case of if the work can be done without disturbing it then you'll be fine..

Hi unseen, thanks for the reply. That is indeed two wires coming into the left hand side of the box. As far as I can tell they pass through the door frame into the box.

Think i'll wait and see what the pvc people say when they come to do the door on thursday. Their surveyor has seen it and didnt comment so im assuming they are happy they can work around it. If not I'll remortgage the house and get BT in to move it!

Cheers.

That looks like one of the old 'lightening protectors' They used to hold two fuses and a couple of surge arrestors in the good old days when telephones ran on uninsulated open wires strung between porcelain insulators on poles.

As there is little need for it now, the innards will probably have gone, and the wires linked together on the same terminals.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tickly, When we eventually got the top off thats pretty much what was inside - the wires from the drop cable, several items that looked like fuses (presumably the surge arrestors) and a few other bits.

Got it moved successfully and no-one blew up so all is well!

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back