Help I'm lost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody give me some help with this sat nav its a tom tom 20/25, it does not seem to want to play. all it keeps telling me is it is waiting for a valid gps signal

Sponsored Links
Can anybody give me some help with this sat nav its a tom tom 20/25, it does not seem to want to play. all it keeps telling me is it is waiting for a valid gps signal
Please don't tell us your sat in the house testing it.

when did it last work?

what has happened since then?

I bought it for the mrs a few months ago, who is always getting lost, so I thought this would help but she has never liked it , complaining it does not work properly. So I took it out to work today in the van and it just says can't get a signal and yes I am sat in the house now.

Sponsored Links
it can be useful to connect it to the PC and let it download the updates. This includes telling it where to look for the satellites. The updates are done by the "TomTom Home" application. If you have lost the disc you may be able to download it.

If the battery went completely flat, it may have lost all its memory and think it is somewhere in Scotland (mine sometimes does)

If it's got an SD card, make sure it is firmly in place.

When fully charged, take it outside and let it see the sky.

I have plugging it into the lap top tonight and updated it, there is no card with this model John D and yes it will have completely run out of charge as its been in the glove box a lot.

tom tom also had a problem with their 3rd party software for satellite tracking due to the leap year, many models needed updating due to this - they suddenly couldn't track the satellites.

It also helps to be stationary when trying to sync with satellites after a period of 'hibernation'.

Download 'MyTomTom' or 'TomTom Home' depending upon age of satnav.

Update TomTom with latest software in particular 'QuickGPSfix'. This file contains details of satallite locations and is normally updated by device each time it is used.

If satnav has not been used for a long time as in case of OP locating the satellites can take forever.

After updating device switch it on but continue to keep switch depressed until the drum roll.

Thanks for the info I got on the wed site today and did the drum roll thing and it now connects to a satalite and it seems to be working now, can someone tell me how to charge it up please I know it charges as I drive but I did not do many miles today. I have now got it plugged in the lap top but I am not sure it is charging?

on mine, if you connect it to the PC with a USB cable, the green light comes on to show it is charging. The Tomtom need not be switched on to charge.

You can also plug it into a wall wart USB charger if you have one, for example for a phone.

This one does not have a green light to tell you when charging, but I have now plugged it into the phone charger so lets hope its charging up. cheers John D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back