Help laying ceramic floor tiles

I don't think I explained it properly,

When you know where your middle tile is going to go (which you should have drawn a straight line)then move back toward the edge before the cut edge tile,start your full tile from there parallel from the middle line,so it doesn't matter where you start as long as you have done your layout plan correctly.Like I say there is no right or wrong way of doing it.I find it awkward starting in the middle then start leaning over and where to go next ! I've learnt this from a professional tiler maybe the reason is the less he have to move the better,if you think about it you're only moving one way and you can keep using the straight edge as you go along.This is only for tiling the floor and not the wall.

Sponsored Links
Well here's my theory!
Graeme does not want to pay up and has promised masona a few drinks if he will support his idea.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi Masona,
Are you sure you can keep using the straight edge as you go along.
Surely you use the straight edge once only to create one long row of tiles in the middle of the room. Then leaving the straight edge in place secured to the floor you create another row of tiles against the first row (well with spacers) and so on until you cannot fit any full size tiles.
You then remove the straight edge and repeat the sequence.
The secret is a straight edge long enough to create a straight row of tiles and securing it in the correct (middle)position to ensure all edging tiles are equal in width. Two tiles at 5" are far better than one at 1" and one at 9"
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MANDATE said:
Graeme does not want to pay up and has promised masona a few drinks if he will support his idea.

Yeah well, I couldn't get any drink out of Scoby either :!: :)

I find it easier to use a straight edge as I don't like using tile spacer on floor tiles as it got a thicker bedding, then tile spacer disappear underneath! And some tile spacer are not all the same (difference thickness)and you'll amazed how one faulty spacer will throw the whole floor line out and you'll have a job to find it.This is what a I do,lay a row of floor tiles (don't forget you're already coming off the 1st batten nailed down)and you know roughly the gap then straight edge against the tiles and a light tap will turn some tiles into line.It very much the same when bricklaying with straight edge & string.The biggest problem I find is when the tile push down they tend to twist even with spacer and agreed with on equal tiles gap all round.In the shopping centre they use string line and straight edge.And finally this is only my own opinion and you can do it how you want :!: :)

Sponsored Links
Well I already told her she was wrong after masona's first reply and shown her his post (evidence) and the matter may be considered closed now. I will try to remember to mention that she might have been right after all. ;)

I am going to mark out all the approximate (all 92 of them!) tile positions on the floor and by then the starting point may be obvious. Starting from the middle now seems logical after reading through the theorys but seems like a lot more of extra cutting to do.

Graeme said:
Well I already told her she was wrong after masona's first reply and shown her his post (evidence)

I didn't say she was right or wrong !!!!!! :cry:

I just said there isn't any proper way of doing it as long the tiles are in the right position where you want it to be and where you want to start is up to you!

Anyway,good luck !

Got the job finished this weekend and it looks very nice. Thanks to all for your help and advice :D Perhaps this forum should have a bar so I could buy you all a beer with the money I saved :!: ;)

Graeme said:
Perhaps this forum should have a bar so I could buy you all a beer with the money I saved :!: ;)

So you didn't pay your missus then :LOL:

I think I might have been one of those who was posting to an old topic :oops:

However, I don't know, because the new posts have been removed :confused:

Would it not be better to leave in the old posts and then just lock the topic, so that (a) the useful information remains, and (b) nobody can repeat what was a genuine mistake?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back