Help Leaking water main on our property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a leaking pipe leading from the water main on our property.

We can access the main switch off valve.

We have dug some deep holes trying to locate the leak some of these 4ft deep and have only succeeded in locating the point the water comes in to the house.

We have not found the leak and even if we do we are not going to be able to change the pipe this deep.

We believe we have found a blue pipe which appears to feed the water valve point but is coming from another direction so not likely to be associated with our house.

How easy is it to put a new water main pipe in and do you have any advice on how we can undertake this without expensive cost of bringing in the water contractors.

I mean we have done most of the hard work dug to depth, I begrudge paying money to them now.

We are desperate for your advice please help..

cat xx

Sponsored Links
You have to dig a trench to a MINIMUM of 750mm deep from the boundary where the mains comes in up to the entry point to the hopuse which also has to be 750mm deep.

You then have to lay your 25mmblue poly new pipe and call the inspector from water supply co to inspect the pipe int he trench.

It would be usual to employ a water regas qualified plumber to do that as he can self certify and then connect to the supply pipe and inside the house.

It seems that you dont like employing people because you have to pay them.

Most people think its better to stick to their own profession and employ the appropriately qualified person for the job.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the information and advice.

btw for information my boyfriend is a member of the chartered institute of builders. He has never seen a water main like this and he has built many houses. So I appreciate paying for skills we dont have but we do have a lot of experience to attempt this ourselves. xxx

Agiles boyfriend is member of the chartered institute of plumbers,thats how he knows the information about how deep the trench is to be dug,a proper builder will also know exactly how to backfill and what else is needed in the trench

I have done this job on countless times and the explaination from Agile isvery simplisitic and not the complete picture obviously he has no experience of actually doing the job but gleaned information of a forum

'chartered institute of builders'.........................and asking how to suck eggs. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Of course my reply was simple because I am not being paid to teach the Water Regulations and only need to gove the basic information.

Happy Plumber will be pleased to hear that I remember those details from my Water Regulations course with Thames Water!

Some of us are not lucky enough to have girlfriends or boyfriends with building skills. Great cooking skills are more important to me.

Tony

I'm contemplating a new water pipe from the road to the house.It's not leaking so it's low on the list but it is old and lead and almost certainly fured up to the max resulting in very poor flow and pressure. I complained to the water company and they installed a new valve in the road and a datalogger.
They told me that the water pipe on my land was my problem and nothing to do with them and of course all my problems were due to my blocked and leaky pipe.
Minidigger for the day with a driver £150 get a plumber to hook it up and screw the water company apparently "it's nothing to do with them"
Fortunately for me when they put in the new valve they replaced the old lead pipe 2 metres into my garden with nice new blue plastic for easy hook up :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back