Help - Light Switch Wiring Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am trying to replace a 2 gang light switch but stumped on wiring up the new one. Picture one was the initial switch wired in, picture two is the rear of the old switch and picture three is the rear of the new switch. I have used a multimeter to test the browns and there is only one live IN hence the bridging wire but not sure why they had the other brown in the COM on the second gang (I am not sure what this wire is for, but for reference there is four of everything coming in to the switch.

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_8395.jpeg
    IMG_8395.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8525.png
    IMG_8525.png
    1 MB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
Feed in and out and 2 x switch wires.

If all are separate only one will/should be live, just copy into new switch, simples....

Oh and you dont have a loop for the neutrals on the new switch so you'll need a suitable connector block.

And your new switch needs an earth which can be taken from the back box/connector.

This should be correct but if the switch works upside down use terminal 3
1698699676505.png

Sponsored Links
Normal lighting circuits need a connection to join the neutrals together, it is usually in the ceiling rose, but often this is done close to the switch using a connector block. This appears to be a switch that has an integrated connector block. It doesn't do anything but connect the neutrals together. It's a good idea and I have never seen one in 48 years in the trade. Definitely likely to cause confusion though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back