Help with 2 gang 2 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Apologies for the novice question...
I've changed many single light switches in the past but today I have tried to replace my dual light switch in my hallway.
The light can be controlled by switches upstairs and downstairs.
I took a picture of the before switch and I've directly transferred to the new switch.
Com-Com
A1-L1
A2-L2
B2-L2
However the light is no longer controllable by the downstairs swith (the one I've not changed)
The upstairs switch.(The replacement) will switch the light on and off and controls the loft light..
Why has my link been broken between downstairs and upstairs..
Any assist ?
I've took a picture of the old switch wired and the new switch is only representative as obviously the one I wired up is 2 gang not 3 gang.
Any help much appreciated
Cheers
Mark

Attachments

• 20190910_181341.jpg
    20190910_181341.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 20190911_202155.jpg
    20190911_202155.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 197
Sponsored Links
You may have mixed up the red insulated conductors in com and L1,have you tried swapping them over ?
Is the loft light working as normal ?

You may have mixed up the red insulated conductors in com and L1,have you tried swapping them over ?
Is the loft light working as normal ?

I clearly labelled each wire and transferred to what I believe was the same in new switch
Com to com, a1 to L1 etc.
Loft light works ok..
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Make sure first that the two wires for the loft switch come from the same cable.

I will have a look this evening after work
Cheers..
Will then take a picture of the new switch wired up.
Cheers for response :)

I've changed many single light switches in the past but today I have tried to replace my dual light switch in my hallway.
The light can be controlled by switches upstairs and downstairs.
I took a picture of the before switch and I've directly transferred to the new switch.
Com-Com
A1-L1
A2-L2
B2-L2
However the light is no longer controllable by the downstairs swith (the one I've not changed)
The upstairs switch.(The replacement) will switch the light on and off and controls the loft light..
Why has my link been broken between downstairs and upstairs..
Any assist ?
I've took a picture of the old switch wired and the new switch is only representative as obviously the one I wired up is 2 gang not 3 gang.
You wrote
"However the light is no longer controllable by the downstairs switch (the one I've not changed)
The upstairs switch.(The replacement) will switch the light on and off and controls the loft light."
By this, it seems that you may mean that the light IS controllable by the upstairs switch if (and only if) the downstairs switch is in one of the two possible positions.

If this is the case it is probable that "You have mixed up (reversed) the red insulated conductors going to Com and L1." - to paraphrase terryplumb

Guys... you lot are amazing... thank you ..
Com1 and L1 needed swapping over.. all now works as it should.
I even fitted the 3 gang 3 switch downstairs with no trauma...
Cheers peeps

Your new switch plates are metal ,have you connected the earth conductors to the earth terminal on the back of the switch plate ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back