Help lights not working, sockets tripping, TV coming on - new wiring...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Problem - No lights or sockets to the back of house RCD resets momentarily and then another switch goes. Sockets now now sensitised (no more tumble drier or hoover). its pot lock if it resets and we are leaving the lighting one off as nothing resets if that remains on.
Context - We are coming to the end of a big renovate+extension and have used new (to us) electricians. The original quote we thought was for a rewire and new wiring to the extension. I questioned why the sockets in the old part of the house were just being renewed on old wiring, but was told that this was the price and wiring was fine ( astounded - how could you question my judgement on this).
Detail - Before Christmas the old fuse use box was not swapped out as they didn't want to take any risks (?).
The end is near and on Christmas Eve, eve the lights to the extension, sockets and another old room at back of house went out, system tripped. Out came the electrician's man and found a fault under the light switch ( funny, he said... that was one of the first he did).
16th December sockets on right hand side not functioning and not linked - resolved.
Next, Christmas day heating went off - went to the control panel and live wire hanging out back as not yet set on wall. Pushed it back in and it worked.
28th - Bedroom lights went off .... returned on 29th with no intervention
Jan - new fusebox fitted, delay to porch lights when turned on.
5th Jan TV not working, now partial fix - Ariel intermittent
7TH Jan TV not working, fixed one
29th Jan TV ariel not working , Kitchen lights tripped out and back of house ( we re did RCD switch)
21 Feb kitchen fitted - we watched them like hawks, no live wires in fitting area - kitchen lights tripped again and back of house and RCD will not reset. Sockets not working but did reset. But hoover re tripped as did tumble (all working previously).
So no lights or sockets at back of house.
TV turns on every now and again?
Also many of new sockets and switches have huge holes / gauges under them where they have knocked too much out...
The electrician thinks its us! Am I mad?

I am thinking of getting another electrician in to QA all of the work...

Sponsored Links
Thank you... that made me smile and think that I am not insane!! Its all true. Can I ask... is it normal for massive holes ( so that the socket pushes back into the space and i cant get purchase to put a plug in) to be allowed if they are cutting sockets out of lathes and plaster..

Or big holes in spots for ceiling?

Sponsored Links
If you cut out of lath and plaster and leave no support it is necessary to fix a timber or metal batten/pattress between joists to carry the back box. This may involve a board repair and some plastering to make good. Electrician should have warned you of this

Back