Help me find the right laptop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am after a relatively low price laptop, either 2nd hand, refurbished or even new if I can get something the right price.

New machines I have considered are around the £300 price tag, for the 2nd hand/re furb I am looking at £150-200.

I am bemused by some of the spec, which is where I am after some help. I primarily want the machine to run a software app which requires a minimum of:-

P3 processor
32mb graphics card
100 mb hd space
CD rom
OS win 98 - XP

The confusing factors are:-

32mb graphics card - many of the laptops I have seen have "integrated/shared" graphics and not specific graphics cards. Judging from the system requirements of the software do I need a specific graphics card?

The OS. If the software requires up to XP, would it run on vista? Many newer machines are running vista.

If anyone has any suggestions and can help answer my questions it would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
£150 is a bit low for a secondhand machine, and £300 a bit low for a new one, but there are two main decisions:

1. Do you want Vista?

2. Do you really want Vista?

I realise that these questions are similar, but it's kind of important because Vista is so crap.

Anyway, the main advantage of a new machine is the warranty. And the speed. Speed and warranty. The two main advantages are speed and warranty, and fewer compatibility problems. The three main advantages...

Since your min spec is so low, I'd get a decent secondhand machine. People even sell them on eBay with some warranty left on them.

Thanks Softus.

I've not heard many good reviews of Vista, and therefore was cautious about buying a new machine for this reason.

I've been scouring Ebay and there are some decent spec Dells going for the £150-180 range.

Hi Anderson,
If you can purchase a toshiba laptop!!.. best by far (in my opinion).. and as softus touched on, try and stay away from vist, XP eats less resources!.. basic laptop will perform better with XP. Also, if your budget is low and you cat raise the funds for a toshiba, have a look at a dell... Please try and stay away from ebay for laptops!

Sponsored Links
Anyway, the main advantage of a new machine is the warranty. And the speed. Speed and warranty. The two main advantages are speed and warranty, and fewer compatibility problems. The three main advantages...

Oh bugger, what is that sketch?? I'm thinking Fast Show, Python, Eric Idle or Mark Williams???? :?:

"P3 processor
32mb graphics card
100 mb hd space
CD rom
OS win 98 - XP"

You want to use it to run a specific program that requires that spec?

If so ANY of the NEW laptops you are looking at will be more than sufficient.

You can run the software in XP compatability mode with Vista, for example I use diagnostic software for VW's called VAGCOM on my Vista laptop this way, with no issues.

I bought a new DELL from http://www.sterlingxs.co.uk/ came with 3 year on site warranty for £330.

I believe that laptop graphics cards are part of the mobo and cannot be easily upgraded - could be wrong on this.

Also had ACER laptops, very cheap, ok if being using at home but don't think they can take much rough treatment.

I believe that laptop graphics cards are part of the mobo and cannot be easily upgraded - could be wrong on this.

True.

Also had ACER laptops, very cheap, ok if being using at home but don't think they can take much rough treatment.

Totally agree.

And for what it's worth , from someone who used to repair them , I do not like Toshiba laptops at all :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back