Advice on laptop - choice of 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Work have told me to find a laptop. It'll be used for regular office type processes (word, excel, tinternet etc) but it must be able to run AutoCAD LT2007. We're not talking about major detailed CAD drawings so it'll not be that intensively used.
I've narrowed it down to 2 machines (both Philips funnily enough) but am not sure which would be best to get.
These are the two (click for details):
Philips X57
Philips X58
Both come with Vista (either Premium or Ultimate) so you can write off about 700mb of RAM straight away. (I'm running Vista at home.) The X57 has less RAM but faster CPU and better graphics, the X58 has plenty of RAM but has slower CPU and graphics.
Would I be better going for more RAM (X58) or faster CPU and Graphics (X57)?

Sponsored Links
For CAD the answer is usually ALL of the above. You can easily (maybe not cheaply ;) ) add RAM to the X57, you can't easily upgrade the CPU or graphics on the other.

whats this you asking for advice...............

Oh wise one, fountain of knowledge, you have gone down in my estimations now................ :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Well I'm not all that clued up on low end computers and laptops. ;) Anyway, bloody pc world only had the X58 in stock, so that's what I got. Seems fine though. Although, why they put shiney screens on laptops I'll never know - my LCD monitor at home isn't shiney and is superb. You get reflections on this one but it's not too bad though.

Yes I did. I needed to get it asap for a trip and dabs didn't have anything near the spec and price that was in stock.

Bit late with that info mate. I'd prefer to stick to what I know and not mess about with Macs. As far as I'm aware, they're only really used by yanks, journalists and people that don't want a wide range of software.

gcol said:
Bit late with that info mate. I'd prefer to stick to what I know and not mess about with Macs. As far as I'm aware, they're only really used by yanks, journalists and people that don't want a wide range of software.

Dunno, I run XP on a mini-mac.

Sponsored Links
Back