Laptop advice needed please

Totally agree with "Box" AVG is very good, my wife & I both use it.
JonB

Sponsored Links
I used to use AVG free till they updated it to version 8 and I found it slowed my PC down something terrible. Could be that I didn't have something set up properly - dunno - but that was when I started my hunt for another anti-virus - and I think I've tried most of the "big" ones and I haven't liked any of them - apart from Avira - which I've had on trial so not had to pay for it yet!!! I must admit, I like having the anti-virus/firewall, etc all in one - it's less hassle. Mainly cos I can't remember which firewall I liked - Comodo, PC Tools, Agnitum and whatever else I tried. One of them I had a bit of a problem with uTorrent on it and I can't remember which one.

The guy in PC World made a half hearted attempt at trying to convince me that Norton was a lot better now than it used to be. I wouldn't take him up on it though.

I'm in the process of setting up the laptop just now - geez Vista looks a lot different to XP at the start anyway. I feel like a complete newbie trying to use it!

Personally I don't use another firewall, other than the Windows one. Install Avast , it'll be fine.

Note that AVG had a couple of instances of false positives recently, where their software identified essential windows files as being viruses, and deleted them.

http://securityandthe.net/2008/11/10/avg-virus-scanner-removes-critical-windows-file/

I have an aversion to AVG because I remember the early days of www.grisoft.com; steve gibson is a sensationalist moron who overstates his own competence

How AVG managed to delete user32.dll I'm not sure, as it ought to be covered by Windows File Protection and also in use all that time (unless AVG pulls some tricks to force it to unload, and I'd be surprised if a windows session could survive that)

Sponsored Links
steve gibson is a sensationalist moron who overstates his own competence

Eh?

Steve Gibson runs Grc.com , not Grisoft. GRC has no tie in with AVG.

EDIT: And for the record I have used some of his programs in the past and been very impressed. You are obviously a superior being. Care to share what you have achieved in I.T. security development ? :rolleyes:

steve gibson is a sensationalist moron who overstates his own competence

Eh?

Steve Gibson runs Grc.com , not Grisoft. GRC has no tie in with AVG.
I had it in mind that GRIsoft, was "Gibson Research Institute"(soft) but it seems that long hours and too much wine recently have led me to confuse AVG being one of SG's efforts, with ZoneAlarm (doh). My apologies

EDIT: And for the record I have used some of his programs in the past and been very impressed.
Please tell me youre not talking about the ones that do stuff like stop/disable the Messenger service?!

..though this discussion isn't about him, so I do apologise for leading it that way

You are obviously a superior being. Care to share what you have achieved in I.T. security development ? :rolleyes:
I don't shout about the work I do because I'm contractually bound not to. If you'd care for an example some someone who writes a good bit of software that speaks for itself instead of being a code version of what can be done with a .reg file, see the efforts of Russinovich/Cogswell..

Ya got it, ya sell it, ya still got it, ya sell it again.. What a fantastic business model ;)

shame the person in the shop didn't mention that micro$oft are ditching Windows One Care in the near future.

I used to use avg until they removed the advanced settings from the free version- at that point I jumped ship and joined the free avast home edition

If you want to keep the laptop virus free then just take the admin rights away from the main account and use the remaining admin acc just for installing programs etc

Turn off Autoplay too.. The only time I've encountered a virus recently was when I plugged a USB stick into a friend's computer. Plugged it into mine and noticed it was called "chess" - turned out my mate's machine had a trojan. If windows had autoplayed the trojan exe that was put on the USB disk, I'd have ended up with it too..

Sponsored Links