Hardware malfunction - help please!!

I'm glad that you have it working again, but surely this means that you didn't follow Igorian's excellent advice, being to read the M$ article, which says:

Go into the bios and set load Fail safe defaults or Bios defaults, disable any antivirus protection inside the bios, and set Plug and Play OS to NO.

...so you've had a few people spending time trying to help you with a fault based on the wrong assumption that you'd tried doing that. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
true, 100C is a bit much!!!, mind u I wasnt half concerned when I first put it togethe, it wasnt like today where you can go and buy a kit for a few quid - much more fun back then.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
I'm glad that you have it working again, but surely this means that you didn't follow Igorian's excellent advice, being to read the M$ article, which says:

Go into the bios and set load Fail safe defaults or Bios defaults, disable any antivirus protection inside the bios, and set Plug and Play OS to NO.

...so you've had a few people spending time trying to help you with a fault based on the wrong assumption that you'd tried doing that. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the time-wasting, but I guess I was just convinced it was a mobo/cpu fault as a result of overheating.
Well, it only shows to go... :oops: :LOL:

I wasn't moaning for me, but more for the others, but thanks for a magnanimous apology.

You are welcome, Softus. Really happy that my PC is working again, with a shiny new OS install. Five years and still going - not bad, eh? Lovingly built by hand...(with an ESD wrist-strap, of course).

any one else use a esd wrist strap? ive never used one ? never had static probs just use case to earth out static down ? or am i just lucky lol

The thing is with static sensitive devices - not just pc parts but many cmos electronic components etc, is that unless there is a lot of static, then the device itself may not fail there and then, but you need to understand the makeup of such devices to appreciate how delicate they are, you often hear of ram or motherboards "failing", quite possibly due to mishandling at some stage, I once had a link to a really good vid that showed the breakdown of cmos devices by static under measured conditions but sadly I dont have it anymore.
If they werent so sensitive to static then they wouldnt come in special antistatic packaging. You are spot on to earth through the case though, no probs at all there, I do the same, but do use a strap if I run a board open on the bench.

Also, the point of a (decent) strap is that it causes a controlled discharge rather than discharging all in one go, which happens when you ground yourself directly using the case and can be equally damaging.

suffolklad said:
any one else use a esd wrist strap?
All the time. Why would you not?

Maybe you're worried that it's a big myth perpetrated by a fat cat who's making his/her fortune from £4.95 wrist straps? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back