Help me!!-Fire Surround!

I have finished it. The 1-2-3 primer worked well. Im now using it on door frames as well.

Green rug isnt staying. Walls are grey now and white and grey accesories.

I think I need to put some sort of protector over the fireplacem what would you suggest? I dont want clear shiny varnish. But i want something so that if I wipe fingerprints of the firesurround it doesnt wipe the paint off. What would you suggest.

(Ignore the dog and parcel on the photo. I was taken the photo for something
20151210_201307.jpg
else but may as well use it to show you how it looks).

Sponsored Links
Best just leaving it to harden for a few weeks then giving it a good sand with a sanding block, then see what it looks like.

The more you mess with it the worse it will get. You need to let the paint fully harden before you sand it, otherwise it'll end in the skip.

Looks like you were right again, champ! (y) :whistle: :LOL:

Had it been oil based it would have been a mess. Better giving a warning eh? Silly little man.

Sponsored Links
I think were we have gone wrong was thinking it wasnt indented where the mouldings had been. It honestly didnt look it or feel it! So after 2 lays of paint and hand sanding it still not looking I got a powerful torch and shone it down the length of the fireplace and then it was obvious it was ever so slightly indented.
So I bought a black & decker mouse sander (which was fantastic by the way!) And sanded till I was happy the middle bit was all at the same depth and no indents. Then used 1-2-3 primer and 2 coats of paint. :)

Which over coat do you recommend?

Had it been oil based it would have been a mess. Better giving a warning eh? Silly little man.

It wasn't a warning, though - you jumped to your own conclusion and gave your orders (as per usual)! ;)

@DanielleC

I wouldn't really go down the route of adding a protective layer unless you expect the satin finish to be bumped by putting things on the mantel, etc, because water based paints will scuff more readily than oils.
If you do feel the need to protect it, I would recommend Polyvine Decorator's Varnish which is available in matt, satin and gloss finishes. It is used regularly within the trade as a protective coat for this type of thing, but be aware that it may slightly alter the look of the finish you have now.

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/h/HUMPDV/

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back