decorating living room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am decorating my living room which had a rewire.

a) I am planning to paint the first coat with B&Q matt emuslion white paint. I can then sand where the new plaster used over the chases. Is this cheap B&Q paint ok for this purpose?

b) second coat will be dulux brilliant white. Will this be enough.

c) i have a fireplace surround which i think is varnished (brown). Can this be painted black and do I need to sand it to the bare wood?

d) skirting boards, these are white at the moment and i'd like them black. Again, do i need to sand back to wood or can i just paint over the existing paint?

Thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links
Just buy one lot of paint ... might save a lot of issues.. the bare plaster chases, sand to a fine edge first, then give the bare plaster a thinned coat of your dulux or whatever emulsion.. then coat up with two coats all over (of the same paint)

The fireplace.. sand lightly then give it a coat of zinsser123. then undercoat and gloss stripping not necessary.

The skirting.. undercoat and gloss.. no strip.

Just buy one lot of paint ... might save a lot of issues.. the bare plaster chases, sand to a fine edge first, then give the bare plaster a thinned coat of your dulux or whatever emulsion.. then coat up with two coats all over (of the same paint)

The fireplace.. sand lightly then give it a coat of zinsser123. then undercoat and gloss stripping not necessary.

The skirting.. undercoat and gloss.. no strip.

Hi thanks for the advice., just need some clarification.

Should I do the first coat only over the chases? or all of the walls?

Also do I need to sand the skirting boards?

Sponsored Links
Coat over any bare plaster with a thinned coat of emulsion.. Feather out so not to leave gobby strips.. then undercoat with one emulsion overall, give a second coat if your not pleased with result of first coat.

Sand the skirting same as any paintwork should be sanded.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back