Help me fish something out of this pipe !!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP! Our washing machine drainage was overflowing - the flexible washing machine hose normally slots into an open vertical waste pipe (see first pic) but instead of draining away it was overflowing. My husband tried to clean it out with the garden hose with a jet attachment, but then the brass nozzle fell down the pipe! Because it is brass and not magnetic we have tried to flush the nozzle out (push it towards the outside drain, which we can access) with the garden hose on its own (minus the lost nozzle) but without success. The waste pipe disappears into cement and veers off to the right towards the outside drain. We would like to have a go at fixing this ourselves before calling a plumber or drain clearing company, so I have some questions...
  1. The second photo shows a closeup of the base of said open waste pipe. There is a join... Would this pipe likely be screwed in or jammed with silicone sealant? Btw the pipe is probably old & brittle so am v aware it could break
  2. Can anyone recommend a flexible drain clearing tool with something on the end (like some sort of pom pom?!) to push the part through? Bearing in mind that the pipe seems to bend at some point
  3. Alternatively what about one of those hydrojet attachment heads that fits on a power jet washer??
Am really hoping someone could give us some advice on this!
1f64f.png

PS. Don't think it is a problem with the outside drain - we took the mancover off and water flows freely through that

Attachments

• IMG_6415.jpg
    IMG_6415.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6417.jpg
    IMG_6417.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
Cut the downpipe low down to see if you can get to the brass piece you lost. You can easily rejoin that with a straight connector, either glue, screw or push-fit.

What should we cut with? Is a manual saw ok?!
Any old saw will cut plastic , I have retrieved item from a pipe (bottle in a soil pipe) by putting a loop of string on end of stick and running one end of string to top of stick to form a snare to grab the bottle neck .
But easy enough to cut pipe down and replace as mentioned .

Sponsored Links
As said, any saw will do. Cut it an inch or two above the connector at the bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back