Help me please. Solid wood floor on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - i've never laid a wooden floor before, but when they guy in my local shop quoted me £30 per sq mtr on top of the price of the wood i thought i would give it a go myself.

Can u tell me if it is okay to lay a solid wood floor floating over concrete? I read somewhere that solid wood needs to be nailed or glued down as the different planks can expand at different rates and the floor can pull itself appart if not secured to subfloor.

Do i need to use an engineered board to float them over concrete. I've found a nice one made my Kahrs - but it is nearly as expensive as solid wood.

Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy.

Sponsored Links
adburn said:
Can u tell me if it is okay to lay a solid wood floor floating over concrete? I read somewhere that solid wood needs to be nailed or glued down as the different planks can expand at different rates and the floor can pull itself appart if not secured to subfloor.
As long as your rooms isn't wider than 5 - 6 meters it's ok to install the floor floating.
Leave an expansion gap of minimum 10mm on all sides, but 15mm is better; make sure your underfloor is level and use DPM and sound-insulation as underlayment.

£30.00 per sq m?? Where? I think I better move that way then.

wow-thanks for quick reply WYL.

I'm doing three rooms downstairs. none of them is more than 5 meters wide on there own, but between them it is over 10m. will be okay if i use expansion gaps under the doors between each room?

Also i take it i should use plenty of glue on theT&Gs to stop them moving?

I live in Cambridgeshire and £30 per square meter seems to be the going rate.

Don't supposed u have got a couple of days to spare for a trip up to cambridge to fit it for me have u? My wife makes a mean cup of tea and chocolate cake - u would be well looked after while u work. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Is it alright I send my 'hubby'? :LOL: :LOL:

Install the floor per room and place a wooden threshold between the doorpost, much better.
Also make sure you glue the complete groove, not just drip and drops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back