How to lay Solid wood flooring?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi ,so picked up some solid wood flooring from homebase today, this will be my first time laying real wood so my question is can solid wood be laid floating like laminates or must it be fixed to the floor? ,and whether it's floating or fixed to floor do I have to use glue as well around the edges when sloting the pieces together?

it's only a small hallway i'm doing approx. 2m x 1m with a concrete subfloor .

Sponsored Links
I am assuming they are standard T&G and not interlocking T&G?

Hardwood boards are better fixed down (secret fixing with nails angled around the tongue).

They can be floated, I would only recommend this if the supplier/manufacturer say it is OK. glue all the T&G and float the floor.

Always follow the instructions, otherwise if anything goes wrong they will blame you regardless of the actual cause.

i haven't opened the packs yet ,I just dropped them off at the property and left.[I haven't moved in yet] lol not helping myself .

I'm heading over today so will check .
the homebase website states glueless and type of adhesive: floating
it's the Schreiber Antique Sienna flooring.

with solid wood when you say floating does that mean i can fit fibreboard underlay and lay the solid boards on top with or without glue or must i use the self adhesive underlay ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back