Help me Wire up a 4 Fluorescent lamp Electronic Ballast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Philips Essential HF-E 418 TL-D 4 x 18W electronic ballast which I want to wire to 3 18w tubes and I'm using T8 Push on fixing lampholders like below.

I have tried wiring up the ballest with one tube so far and it hasn't worked so I want to make sure I'm doing it right to rule out a faulty ballast, here is the wiring diagram

I have wired it (with 0.50mm2 2 core flex) like this so far:

Sponsored Links
It will not drive a single lamp on its own. All four tubes should be connected before testing.

Your plan to drive 3 tubes isn't going to work, to do that you'll need one ballast designed for two tubes and another designed for 1 tube

Strange. Must be a typo on that page. If you download the PDF data sheet it says it's for four lamps.

Sponsored Links
So generally the way these florescent electronic ballasts work it that they have to be at their capacity or they don't work?

you'll need one ballast designed for two tubes and another designed for 1 tube

Or a 3 tube ballast would be neater :)

There site searches for 3-5 lamps and lists all ballasts in that range regardless of it does 3,4, 5 or a combo of lamps
Similar with a single or double lamp ballast they will all be in the 1-2 range
Philips and Tridonic do a 3 x 18 but personally you may be better going for T5 lamps nowadays, like a 14 watt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back