Help -my adjoining neighbour has a shallower roof pitch on his rear extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are building a single storey rear extension wall next to our neighbour’s single storey rear extension wall.

The neighbour has a pre-finished aluminium capping to their parapet.

We intend to form a pitched roof abutting right up to theirs forming a weathering detail - but this is proving decidedly difficult!

Our roof pitch will not match theirs. Their roof pitch on their glass extension I estimate is 12 degrees and ours on our tiled roof is 15 degrees.

Therefore, the lowest part of our roof at wall plate level does not enable a 150mm cover flashing to be formed between the neighbours extension wall and our roof (we can only get say 60-70mm upstand).

At the highest level at rear original house external wall abutment, there is healthy say 300-400mm difference in levels down to their parapet which would enable a detail to be created (subject to their agreement) dressing on to their parapet.

But the ‘cross over’ space between the two creates a troublesome area difficult to weather properly.

It is not really an option to take off the neighbour’s aluminium capping.

I understand an option is to form my own parapet which would resolve the issue, but I may lose internal floor space.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I know it's a pain but could you post a pic of the capping.

Maybe it's possible to speak to the manufacturer of the neighbours roof glazing. It could be possible the capping could be changed for one with a wall upstand. Then you could dress down over the upstand.

Ideally you want yours to be higher all the way, a cross over isn't good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back