Adjoining roofs between extensions. (pics added)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We built a single storey extension with pitched roof on the rear of our terrace a couple of years ago. Our neighbours are building the same (albeit with a flat roof) and have left a gap of no more than 100mm between the extensions.

They have extended the side of their flat roof over the boundary line onto the side wall of our extension. So at the end of the extension, the roof is above the level of our pitched roof and at the part where it adjoins their house it is below our roof level.

My concern is that as flat roofs have a tendency to need recovering every ~10 years that when it starts to leak/the wood rots, I will get water running down the side wall of our extension causing damp problems.

Ive spoken to the main builder who doesn't really speak any English or share my concerns and says that the roofs have to be joined according to building regs. I'm not convinced this is the case but either way feel that they should have at least told me they were joining the roof to our property and crossing the boundary line rather than waiting for me to notice!

I'm a little concerned by the standard of work throughout and while i admit i have no idea about how quick an extension could be built, its certainly been thrown up in a couple of weeks where ours took a couple of months to get ours done and is certainly not of the same quality (I know this doesn't necessarily mean it's not built well enough).

The house is a rented house and all is done to maximise profits and I'm not sure whether much remedial work will ever be done after this so I want to make sure I don't have issues with damp later on. Obviously if they cut the roof back and have it flush on their building there will be a gap between the properties so maybe this is worse as rain etc can get in? Though I feel as air can circulate this is preferential and how properties are usually built anyway.

All I know so far anyway is that it is an illegal structure as building control have not been notified about the work or been asked to visit the site at any time.

Thanks for any advice. :)

Sponsored Links
My concern is that as flat roofs have a tendency to need recovering every ~10 years that when it starts to leak/the wood rots, I will get water running down the side wall of our extension causing damp problems.

Do you mean that water might run down the side wall just like it is running down the other external walls now? Do they have damp problems?

Anyway, they should not join to your wall as that's a trespass.

Yes. My concern is that if/when the roof leaks it will run down the side wall of my extension or at least the wood will become damp and soak through.

I'm not concerned by the trespass side of the work. As I understand it builders are allowed reasonable access to my property to complete their work.

What does concern me is them joining the roof on to mine. I would also think that for me to remove it would constitute criminal damage, whether its on my property or not.

But that its my feeling at the moment - get a saw and cut through the roof at the boundary line then leave them to do whatever they want within their property. But like I say I fear that this would (or could) get me in hot water!

I'm not concerned by the trespass side of the work.

What does concern me is them joining the roof on to mine.

The joining of the roofs is the trespass.

Yes. My concern is that if/when the roof leaks it will run down the side wall of my extension

But if it's an external wall, how will it cause damp issues. It's an external wall just like all the other external walls.

Sponsored Links
I'm not concerned by the trespass side of the work.

What does concern me is them joining the roof on to mine.

The joining of the roofs is the trespass.
Ah right! Thanks for explaining that for me. I'd assumed the trespass you mentioned was them doing the actual work.

Yes. My concern is that if/when the roof leaks it will run down the side wall of my extension

But if it's an external wall, how will it cause damp issues. It's an external wall just like all the other external walls.
If the wood gets rotten/damp over time could it lead to the external brick wall of my extension soaking up water if it's permanently in contact with water? Though the extension is a cavity wall, where it butts up to the house I have double skinned and had problems with damp in the old double skinned section when water was previously running down/splashing an external wall when next doors plumbing blocked and poured waste water for it down days. I only noticed when water marks started to appear in my kitchen.

bongos, good evening

All I know so far anyway is that it is an illegal structure as building control have not been notified about the work or been asked to visit the site at any time.

Are you sure about your assertion?

this could put a spanner in the adjacent property s development?

What about Planning??

Ken

Are you sure about your assertion?
Nope. Not 100%. A not very clued up person at the council said that the developers hadn't notified building control and as such had been written to by the LABC with the case being passed on to planning enforcement. Don't know any more than that.

What about Planning??
Planning for a two storey side extension and single storey rear extension was refused on the grounds that it was not in keeping with the local properties and that it was too big for the area. I think the houses to the side had some issues mainly though not totally sure on what they were. So for now they are just building the single storey rear extension as presumably this doesn't require any planning (ours didn't).

I'm going to try and add some pics. Paints a thousand words and all that...

full

full

full

full

full

I'm sorry they're not great pics. It's obviously dark now. Not sure exactly how the roof was constructed but it basically looks to be several layers of chipboard (ODB or similar?) covered in a fibre glass resin.

Edit: rest of album here.

So, must to bump this topic up again a bit. What are peoples thoughts please? Ask them to remove the 10cm of wooden roofing butted up to my property or leave alone and see what happens.

TIA

From what I gather they've tried to weather proof the gap between the two extensions but not spoken to you about it first? Its in your best interests to keep the gap weather proofed one way or another as I agree that given the chance if water gets into the 100mm gap your potentially open to penetrating damp, unlike a proper external wall with plenty of air ventilation to remove any moisture that gets into the brickwork your not going to get as much ventilation in the 100mm gap.

What they've done is not great but it might work? It looks like its been fibre glassed? Is it even the finished roof? Just speak to em', either way its in your best interests to weather proof the gap in my opinion.

Ideally you'd want them to lead flash your brickwork a course or so above their roof height to do it properly but that roof as is in the pictures may not even be the finished article?

Speak!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back