Help... my BAXI Combi is leaking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, i'm new to this site and just as new to plumbing! Having just been chatting to my plumber mate Timmy and after doing some tests with our Combi over the phone, he thinks the most likely cause being the 'Diverter Valve'. But he said that the forum is very good, with many knowledgeable people so here goes...

It's a BAXI Combi Boiler and is model number Combi 80 Eco.

Here goes the story...

We've got a Mira Excel Shower built into the wall, and when you finish using it, it sometimes drips. So in the attempt to repair it last night i shut off the boiler and the red taps under the boiler and started taking it to bits. After taking off about ten bits i thought it was getting too complicated (and got scared!) so put it back together followed by turning the water and boiler back on.

Then today got in from work this evening and our lodger said that her radiator was cold so checked the pipes feeding the radiator and both are cold. She's never adjusted the thermostat in the past, but i checked it anyway and all is fine as far as i can see.

Next i went to the boiler and got the manual (which happened to be on the floor boards under the boiler... and the corner was wet, along with a flannel which was next to it which was very wet, but not what i would call soaked through.
So i looked up at the pipes and (if looking from the front) the pipe second from the left is covered with corrosion/limescale.

I then called up Timmy as got worried, did lots of tests (adjusting the thermostat temps on both water and heating, and running the hot tap with different settings etc) and then took the photos you see below.

The boiler...

DSCF1503.jpg

DSCF1505.jpg

The pressure...

DSCF1512.jpg

The pipework...

DSCF1507.jpg

DSCF1509.jpg

The leak...

DSCF1506.jpg

The cold radiator...

DSCF1513.jpg

Forgot to say... when we moved in to the house the pressure was at around 2.5 bar and i remember this as it says in the book 1.5 bar is normal. So, the pressure high for some reason but i never saw any reason to get it corrected (and don't know how to myself).
Now it's at 1.5 bar, so it's dropping...

Any help will be greatly received, I’m new to all this and need some help!

What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Drop the front panel down (2 screws either side), leak could be from the blanking plug (just above the hot outlet/pressure gauge conection.

Take off the TRV head and check the pin in the valve is free to move up/down.

Is that a picture of the installer next to the razor :?: :LOL:

Drop the front panel down (2 screws either side), leak could be from the blanking plug (just above the hot outlet/pressure gauge conection.

Take off the TRV head and check the pin in the valve is free to move up/down.

Check out the photo... by the looks of it you could be right - it certainly looks like a blanking plug!

So would this explain the loss of pressure and also the cold radiator?

DSCF1517.jpg

Thanks!

Judging by the bubbling paint and rust, you have had a leak for a long time. Might be time for a thorough visual inspection for traces of rust and limescale all around the boiler, from every angle you can get to it and using a bright inspection light. You may find a couple of other places that look suspicious. If so, correct it before it becomes a problem

No, the blanking plug would not effect the pressure on the gauge. Re-seal with PTFE tape wound to a taper.

Check carefully for other leaks in the same area - another favorite is the bypass pipe connection at the back of the diverter valve. A dentists mirror is useful.

You mentioned the pressure was 2.5 Bar when you moved in (I assume this is with the rads COLD). This was way to high (should only be 1 Bar rads COLD). Read the FAQ's on expansion vessels and check the safety valve is not dripping.

Take off the head of the TRV and check the pin is not jammed down. If OK read the FAQ's on balancing.

No, the blanking plug would not effect the pressure on the gauge. Re-seal with PTFE tape wound to a taper.

Check carefully for other leaks in the same area - another favorite is the bypass pipe connection at the back of the diverter valve. A dentists mirror is useful.

You mentioned the pressure was 2.5 Bar when you moved in (I assume this is with the rads COLD). This was way to high (should only be 1 Bar rads COLD). Read the FAQ's on expansion vessels and check the safety valve is not dripping.

Take off the head of the TRV and check the pin is not jammed down. If OK read the FAQ's on balancing.

Thanks for your response on this, i really appreciate it.

Unfortunately for me though, it all sounds quite taxing having never even joined two pipes together in my life! LOL

I'm going to ask my mate Timmy if he can come an have a look, failing that (he lives quite far away) i'll ask a local plumber to come round.

Thanks again. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back