HELP! Need to find source of damp/mould (see pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK,
I moved into a bungalow last year (it was built in 1978) and its got DPC and cavity wall insulation throughout.

Problen is one wall at ceiling height with a severe case of 'wall leprosy' (see pic)
affectedwall.jpg

The paint and plaster is bubbling away and it feels 'sugary' to the touch. The exposed brickwork doesnt feel damp, nor can I smell dampness. Its only on this wall and no other wall adjoining it.

I have been in attic and took some pics of whats going on up there (see pics)
attic2.jpg

attic1.jpg

Again theres no damp smell but the same 'sugery' coating is on the masonry bricks.

Theres no tile that appear dislodged, the only things I can think of are the chimney brest, which is at this end of the house.

wall penetration, the render seems patchy but no other part of house is affected (see pic)
outerwall.jpg

or if somehow, rain can defy gravity and seep up under the bargeboard (see pic)
underbargeboard.jpg

I know it quite difficult to diagnose a problem wothout seeing it, but I'm a novice and am trying to rule out other causes.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
At a guess I'd say that water is getting in at the eaves level either behind the gutter or loose slate etc and then soaking the cavity insulation. This then saturates the wall.

The sugary stuff isn't mould it is the salts that form when wet bricks dry and is the same stuff that firs up your kettle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back