Help Needed Choosing Sealant for French Door Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've ordered some French Doors from Wickes but need to know what is the best type of sillicone / mastic to fill the gap between the upvc and the walls. I'm looking in ScrewFix and have seen the Dow Corning products, Evo Stick and their 'No Nonsense' products, but don't know what will be best.

What does everyone else use?

Thanks, Mav3000

Sponsored Links
Just had a look on Screwfixes' website and see they do the Ceresit 10B.

This is a really good one compared to the others, although a little overpriced. (We pay £1.69 plus VAT but i suppose we buy in bulk).

Thanks Mw, In addition to the sillicone sealant for the outside, so I need anything else such as expanding foam or internal sealant?

Thanks Mw, In addition to the sillicone sealant for the outside, so I need anything else such as expanding foam or internal sealant?

Use the same sealant for the inside. Regarding the foam, if the frame fits really tight its gonna be a beatch trying to get a bead of foam between the frame and the wall. It will ooze out and probably wont be worth it.

If the gap around the frame is 10mm or more then you could use the foam but i'm not a great believer in it. It turns to dust after 8 years anyway. :)

Sponsored Links
No probs! Dont forget to hit that thank you button (yes i'm really sad but no way do i want to be stuck on just one!) :oops: :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back