Help needed - Floor creaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

we had an extension done above our double garage to make the new master bedroom.

I am having issues where the floor in the master bedroom is creaking like mad on every step all around the room.

the extension was designed with floor joists going horizontally across the width of the garage. See attached pic where you can see the floor joists on the right hand side

Chip board flooring was used. I’ve found over time the floor is getting noisier and noisier and the builder said it’s most likely due to the length of the beams and nothing can be done.

any advice on whether this makes sense or could it be due to the installation of the chipboard floor?

I was thinking of lifting up carpets and putting more or longer screws down.
Will this even help

many thanks for assistance in advance. Stuck and what to do without ripping off floor which is also plastered in the garage.

Apologies for the spelling in the title. Can’t seem to find how to amend this

Attachments

• 5941323F-5D9F-4685-9958-3FA7550B693A.png
    5941323F-5D9F-4685-9958-3FA7550B693A.png
    1 MB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Was the chipboard floor glued down and also glued along joins too?

builder said glued. I found a pic where they had bottles of gorilla glue.
Not sure if they just glued the joints or along the beams as well though.

there's construction adhesive catridges specifically for gluing down sheets to the joists - glue and screw. screws are specific and on a fixing schedule, not just anything anywhere. careful about new or longer screws or you could hit a cable or something.
Did all t&g edge joins come together and were screwed down over joists or noggins - never free floating.
Whats the span and section of the joists?
any heating in the floor?
are expansion gaps say 10mm at abutments?

Sponsored Links
there's construction adhesive catridges specifically for gluing down sheets to the joists - glue and screw. screws are specific and on a fixing schedule, not just anything anywhere. careful about new or longer screws or you could hit a cable or something.
Did all t&g edge joins come together and were screwed down over joists or noggins - never free floating.
Whats the span and section of the joists?
any heating in the floor?
are expansion gaps say 10mm at abutments?

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there are joints that are not screwed down. See pic that I found.

There is no heating in the floor and the joists are about 45cm apart. I can’t even get under without cutting up the boards.

Yes they put expansion gaps all around the outside of the room where the plasterboard sits on top.

Is there anything I can do without ripping up the flooring and skirting?

Attachments

• F31427AA-5BB7-420C-A8C3-0CB523E05A2F.jpeg
    F31427AA-5BB7-420C-A8C3-0CB523E05A2F.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 332
Doesn't appear that the short edges are sat on joists

You can pop a load more screws in, if you take an existing screw out and get some the same length you shouldn't hit anything underneath , screw to all the joists too

Squeaking says that your floor is not glued down , that's my bet anyway !

https://www.toolstation.com/floor-tite-tri-lock-pozi-screw/p65750

Screws like these which have a partial thread are best to use as they will give you a nice tight fixing

Doesn't appear that the short edges are sat on joists

You can pop a load more screws in, if you take an existing screw out and get some the same length you shouldn't hit anything underneath , screw to all the joists too

Squeaking says that your floor is not glued down , that's my bet anyway !

https://www.toolstation.com/floor-tite-tri-lock-pozi-screw/p65750

Screws like these which have a partial thread are best to use as they will give you a nice tight fixing

thanks for this. Poor work by the builder then.
Is it worth getting the boards cut out and putting some support under the short edges and getting glue down on joists? I know it’s a big job but would need to work from middles to sides if I wasn’t to rip off the skirting.

You would still need to remove the skirting , remember you shouldn't need to remove all the skirting just two sides should do , if you get a nice thin pry bar you shouldn't cause too much damage to your skirting

You would still need to remove the skirting , remember you shouldn't need to remove all the skirting just two sides should do , if you get a nice thin pry bar you shouldn't cause too much damage to your skirting
Would that be the skirting at the front and back of room that follow the horizontal beams?

I had this in a loft conversion - builder dismissed it as "timber floors squeak a bit". Was right by the bedroom door so very annoying!
I've since put my own floors down and never had a squeak, and never used glue. Just good boards with plenty of screws so nothing can move.

I had this in a loft conversion - builder dismissed it as "timber floors squeak a bit". Was right by the bedroom door so very annoying!
I've since put my own floors down and never had a squeak, and never used glue. Just good boards with plenty of screws so nothing can move.
What boards did you use? Chipboard?

I've used green chipboard, 60x240 and 120x240. And traditional floorboards, 13 wide.

I think the more solid the board, then less flexing so less chance of squeaking.

Would that be the skirting at the front and back of room that follow the horizontal beams?

No no you remove a long side and the short side next to it so you have a corner with no skirting and that's where you start lifting the flooring and the flooring underneath the remaining skirting will just slide out

gorilla glue? which one? it could be pva or super glue which is wrong . the joints in these floors should be bonded using polyeurethane adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back