creaking chipboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a loft extension with a creaking T&G chipboard floor. I have screwed the boards down to the joists using God knows how many screws but they are still noisy which is driving us mad.
I am now thinking of srewing down 12 mm plywood sheets on foam over the chipboard floor.
Can anyonw tell me if this is likely to help or am I just waisting my time and money? Perhaps I should just take up the whole floor and replace it with standard floor boards! :(

Sponsored Links
I have now replaced most of the existing 1 1/2" screws with 2 1/2" x no10 screws which has helped but not cured the problem. I have now decided to change all the screws with the larger size.

Fairly sure that its the joints between the boards that are creaking and not the joists. It also appears that where some of the boards meet there is no cross joist / nogging to support the joint. Presumably this doen't help either.

Still thinking about laying plywood. I might try laying just a couple of lengths to see if it works before I buy all the sheets I need.

I can't dither about much longer as I'm getting some serious ear bashing from the other half, so all suggestions would be appreciated and would help me to decide what to do.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I too have the same problem, having completed my self build around 2 years ago. I'm fairly sure that the creaking is caused by the board joints rubbing together rather than the joists. This is a bit weird as I used wood glue for all the tongue and groove joints. One thing that has helped is to paint wood varnish into the joints in a second attempt to stick them together. Let me know if you have any other solutions that I can try.

if all the flooring is properly laid and if the joints are accessible pour a little talcum powder on them

I have now added lots more 2 1/2" screws, at least 3 per 600mm wide board in every joist and screwed them well home, and it has helped greatly to the point of being able to live with it.

I think I will also try the talcon powder method; I've heard this idea from a few different sources but apparently it is not a permanent solution.

I just hope the screws do not work loose after the carpet has been fitted and the furniture is in place.

I've decided that If they do come loose I'll have to wait until my son leaves home (no sign of that yet) and replace the whole floor with floor boards.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

HI, I thought it would be a good idea to tell anyone interested of a problem I have never encountered before, newish build, chipboard flooring, but the worst case of creaking I have ever heard. So what did I do, firstly I thought the boards were too tight, ran a circular saw along the joins to allow for movement, no joy, secondly, additional screws on the boards, no joy, by this time I was getting rather annoyed, took a board up, had a good look the joists were solid ? then quite by chance I tapped one of the cross beams noggins that were fitted between the joists to allow for screwing the plasterboard onto the lower floor ceiling, it was loose, they were all loose, held in by the occasional nail, they were the cause of the squeek/creak. a couple of nails on each noggin and Bob's your uncle.

Hey, know it's a long time since you posted but im new to this whole diynot thing and someone else but put my ideas to use.
May i suggest putting down 4 - 5 screws spanning across the 600mm width on each joist which will give it more strength over all and be generous on the glue you put on the tongue and grooving :)
If im wrong at all lemme know but it's what I have learnt so far as a 1st year apprentice
x

Try using the special foaming glue which is made for securing chipboard floars instead of nails or screws it's really impressive and means there's nothing for the floors to squeek again...Make sure you wear gloves as it does not come off.

Try using the special foaming glue which is made for securing chipboard floars instead of nails or screws it's really impressive and means there's nothing for the floors to squeek again...Make sure you wear gloves as it does not come off.

Thanks - what's the name / manufacturer of the foaming glue and where can you get it from?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back