Help needed - No HW and CH not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Ch has been acting up for a while now, it started with the odd rad not heating up, to now almost all the rads not getting hot.
Then it would only come on with the timer, it wouldn't work manually. we could hear the boiler firing up and the HW would get scalding

Now, we get no heat from the rads at all, and even the hot water is only luke warm

We have an F&E tank, which I'll need to clear a path in our loft so I can check it!! Its not overflowing or leaking and about a year ago we had to replace the ball-cock in it.

I have no idea what kind of back boiler or pump we have as it has been sealed behind a wall by the previous owners (thanks guys!)

Before I start getting plumbers in, I just wanted to see if anyone on here could shed any light on the problem..

Until the HW went off I was suspecting the rads just need bled, but now I'm not so sure, and need to get it fixed before the winter

Thanks in Advance :)

BTW, I have no experience with plumbing but will be willing to have a go if I can..

Sponsored Links
With the information you have given I would guess at a blocked cold feed but you need to get access to the boiler, if its a back boiler are there any air vents for the it ?

The only opening I can find is under the fire at the front of where the boiler is and I can see the gas flames, which we suspected was working as you can here it fire up when we set it on manually or it comes on with the timer.

Looking like I'll need to hack away at the side panels to get access to the boiler/pump (That should please the Wife!! Lol.)

After reading through some of the FAQ's and other posts, it would appear that we also have this "kettling" sound coming from the boiler as well..

I'm wondering if we have some blocked pipes somewhere...

You have a standard back boiler and fire front, dont go hacking at the walls, the boiler is accessed from the front, go into the loft and check that there is water in the small tank.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I have found the access and had a look inside, apart from a LOT of cobwebs and dust, everything appears ok

Got a few pics if it helps.
There was also a date of 22/4/92 written as well - poss install date?

Someone has suggested that it may just need servicing

Dont think there is anything wrong with your boiler, open a drain cock on a ground floor rad and drain some water out, you should hear the small tank in the loft filling up, let us know what happens.

Ok complete numpty - where is the drain cock on the rad - is it on the other side from the usual on/off valve? or is that the same thing?

Sorry..

there should be one of these on the pipework, you might be unlucky and not have one,

View media item 25857
it might not be exactly like this but it gives you an idea.

Thanks, will have a look - is there a typical location for this or could it be anywhere?

BTW, this is a Baxi Bermuda 552 VP (not sure if my pics worked earlier)

Drain cock will be at a low point in the system, check all ground floor radiators, or occasionally they are fitted externally.

A service on the boiler/fire by a Gassafe engineer is a good idea, especially if you dont know when it was last done. Helps keep the appliance working efficiently and also means vital safety checks are done to ensure the appliance is working safely.

Hmm.. looks like I fall into the "unlucky" category as I cannot see one of these anywhere - all our Rads pipes go straight down under the floor..

I really do hope I don't have to start lifting floorboards.. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back