help needed please . . .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
almost finished our mums house that is about to be rented out - unfortunately she has had to move into a home as she needs round the clock care and we cant really cope ( the care fees are RIDICULOUS by the way - but thats another story)

Anyway in her kitchen diner there are two sets of ceiling lights - one works fine and the other had a strip light connencted to it which also worked fine.

I removed the strip light and found 3 sets of wires . . .

1 set is permanently 240v
the next set - when connected to this 240v supply - allows the other ceiling light to work - on/off with one of the switches fine
the final set has no power coming out of them but when I connect up the multimeter in ohms mode - I get an on and off when I flick one of the switches on the wall - BUT NO POWER

How do I connect the ceiling light to work correctly??

I have tried and tried but just cant work it out?!?!?!?

khushy

Sponsored Links
What you describe is a perfectly normal ceiling rose system, as found in the 100's of millions in this country.

Look in the Wiki and the For Reference section and you'll find diagrams showing how it all works.

The last cable (red / black & earth?) connect red to the other 2 reds in a terminal block. Connect the black (with a bit of red or brown sleeving on it ) to the live terminal of the light, now take the other 2 blacks & connect the the neutral terminal of the light.
Connect all earths together.

Sponsored Links
What you describe is a perfectly normal ceiling rose system, as found in the 100's of millions in this country.

Look in the Wiki and the For Reference section and you'll find diagrams showing how it all works.

Cheers for the headsup - I read the Wiki - printed the diagram and had it sorted in less than 5 minutes - cheers!

:)

khushy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back