help needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woke up this morning and my ground floor trip switch had tripped out and it will not reset. My consumer unit has the sockets on the RCD side of the consumer unit.

I have unplugged all the ground floor appliances and it still won't work.

Can anybody suggest what to try?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you tried switching the circuit breakers off for the sockets and then try and reset the rcd?

Thanks for your reply.

Not too sure I understand what you mean.

Its probably my explanation.

On the RCD side of the CU I have a larger looking trip which I will assume is the RCD trip and 5 other trips named 1) ground floor sockets 2) Hob 3) first floor sockets 4) Oven 5) second floor sockets

All are on except the ground floor socket trip. When I try and turn it on the larger RCD (?) trip will break. When I turn the ground floor socket trip off the RCD will reset.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
ceborame said:
All are on except the ground floor socket trip. When I try and turn it on the larger RCD (?) trip will break. When I turn the ground floor socket trip off the RCD will reset.

Then you have a fault on your ground floor socket circuit.

Unless there is something plugged in which is causing this you will need to get an electrician to check it out. (There may be other things spurred off this circuit - possibilities are central heating boiler, outside lighting, etc...)

You could start by unplugging the washing machine, dishwasher, kettle, steam iron - anything that has both water and electricity. If that doesn't work unplug everything else.

Then consider if you have recently put any nails or screws into the walls or floor, or had a plumbing leak, or rodents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back