Help Needed - screw falls ot of hole on wardrobe door hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have had to remove a wardrobe door to make some adjustments (it was sticking) however the holes that the hinge was attached to have become baggy to the extent that now the screws can be pulled in and out.

I need some sort of fixing / plug but the screws are approximately 13mm long going into wood (laminated chip board type stuff) that is only about 15 - 16 mm thick.

I had a quick look round the web but cant find any reference to plugs that small for wood, would wet n fix help?

Sponsored Links
if you are talking normal wood screws

match stick or part off with a dob off glue

if your taking kitchen type hinges you can get mending plates

or if the hinges are back to back use a nut and bolt through and hold both hinges

Here's a better fix:

Phone around to the places listed under "Fasteners" in your yellow pages and find out which of those places will allow you to order "Reduced Head" screws.

A reduced head screw is a screw that uses a head one nominal size smaller. For example, if you had #6 flat head screws in that wardrobe hinge, then if you ordered a #8 reduced flat head screw for it, the head on that screw would be the same size as a #6, but the threads on it would be the same size as a #8 screw.

You can put reduced head screws in. They will have larger threads to grip the enlarged hole well, but the screw head will be the same size as what you had before, so it should still fit the hinge properly.

But, be careful who you order from. Some places will let you order only the number of screws you need. Other places won't order anything unless you pay up front for a whole box of 100.

Sponsored Links
I assume that the units are chipboard construction?

I have always removed the fitting, drill the screw holes out to 6mm and then glued in 6mm dowels, allow todry, cut flush with unit, drill pilot holes and re fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back