Help needed to identify cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone recognise this? It'sprinted on a cable going to a new electric hob in a friend's house. He knows I have posted on here and wants to check that it's OK. It's grey and quite chunky.
BASEC 078
BS6004
6242YH
2x10 +4PX 42

Sponsored Links
Sounds like 10mmsq Twin + Earth, although you could come to that conclusion by looking at the cable. Can't tell you whether or not it's OK without knowing how much current the hob draws and what cable the manufacturer recommends, but it's very unlikely to be undersized.

That's what I thought. But it's nowhere near the 17mm that is given here in the help section. What exactly does the 17mm and 10mm refer to in relation to 10mm cable?

I'm not site where in the help section you're referring too, but it sounds likely to be the external measurement of the entire cable, whereas 10mmsq is the cross sectional area of the main conductors.

Sponsored Links
If you go to the WIKI section above and navigate to electrics...cable sizes there's a mention of cable size 17.1mm by 10mm. Just wondering about the 17.1. And the site I found gives two maximum loads, 73A or 42 A, so isn't that more than normal 10mm?

The 10mm refers to the cross sectional area of the copper conductors in the cable, the 17.1 x 10 refers to the overall size of the cable in question.

If you go to the WIKI section above and navigate to electrics...cable sizes there's a mention of cable size 17.1mm by 10mm. Just wondering about the 17.1.

cabledimensions2rm5.jpg

And the site I found gives two maximum loads, 73A or 42 A, so isn't that more than normal 10mm?
The current carrying capacity of a cable is limited by the fact that current flowing through it heats it up. Too hot and the insulation will soften, melt or catch fire. This is a Bad Thing™, which is why there are safe limits.

73A will be its rating in free air, or on a perforated metal cable tray, 42A would be something like touching a plasterboard wall or ceiling with less than 100mm of insulation behind/above it. If you surrounded it completely with thick insulation it might only be able to safely carry 32A.

That's very helpful, many thanks. I was simply putting a ruler on top of the cable (the flattened bit) and getting about 13mm. The extra bits at the side made it 17mm. Just out of interest, under what circumstances would this cable carry 73A? Seems quite a lot!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back