Help needed with 3 gang 2 way switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help needed with a 3 gang switch i have purchased, just cant seem to work out which wires from the original set up go to the new switch.

The original set up is here, this is a picture from a two way switch in my front room operating the front room ceiling lights and the landing light.

This picture below is the switch on the landing.

The pictures below is the new 3 gang switch, on the left of the switch it is marked 0 for 2 wires to go and on the right it is marked 3 at the top and 1 at the bottom of the 3 individual gangs, their is also 2 red loop wires that came with it.

I have tried to connect it up almost had it ok the problem was i could not switch off the landing light at the landing light switch.

At some stage i would like to connect wall lights to the spare gang at the bottom of the new switch.

If anyone could help with this i would be really great full.

Sponsored Links
Your existing switch is laid out like this

In the new switch all the switches are the same way up.

The wires in the COM terminals will go in the one marked "0" the other two cables go in 1 and 3.

I never saw a switch marked like that.

At some stage i would like to connect wall lights to the spare gang at the bottom of the new switch.
If anyone could help with this i would be really great full.

There is no neutral at the switch - this is quite usual. This means that you won't be able to connect up your wall lights by just one simple cable from that switch.
You'll need to identify a permanent live (probably one of the reds on the existing switch) and use that on one side of the switch.
You'll need to run a nuetral to the wall lights from the same lighting circuit as the others.

Also you need to explore the DIYNOT WIKI and understand how lighting circuits work.

Does the new switch have a metal front plate ? ( It looks like metal through the holes in the plastic )

If it is metal it will need to have an effective earth connection to the front plate. If there is no effective earth wire in the cables to the switch then you canot use a switch with a metal front plate.

Sponsored Links
Does the new switch have a metal front plate ? ( It looks like metal through the holes in the plastic )

If it is metal it will need to have an effective earth connection to the front plate. If there is no effective earth wire in the cables to the switch then you canot use a switch with a metal front plate.

No it is plastic and has neons that light up when the lights are off so you can find the switch in the dark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back