help needed with cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our cooker power went off other day out the blue. I checked fuse box an the 5amp wire had broke. Changed that. Still no power. Had a look at back of cooker an cant see anything. The cooker,hood ,2under cabinet lights have stopped working. The wires all seem to lead to this box behind the cooker.
20170107_150649.jpg

Sponsored Links
There is a broken connection on the 6mm red wire. i would advise you to get an electrician to redo that mess asap.The join box is far to small both physically and electrically, you require a 30a join box.

DS

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised how restrained people are, it's an absolute dogs dinner. The only thing in it's favour is it's in an enclosure rather than bare terminal blocks!

As above the larger cables need cutting back stripping and re terminating, the earth cpcs need sleeving, the grey sheaths all need to enter the box, and the box needs to be rated for the load.
Oh and for bonus marks the box should be fixed down and the cables clipped if there's likely to be any movement on the cables.

After all that the whole circuit should be tested from the fuse box, including a visual check for other dodgy wiring.

I think it's done you a favour in failing as at least it's drawn to your attention the problems with the wiring.

It looks very dangerous on so many levels. Whats with varying sizes of the wires? It would appear that the cooker, lights and cooker hood may all connected to the same circuit.

What is supplying that junction box? If it has a 5A fuse, it could be a lighting circuit. But with a cooker connected to it! :eek: On the other hand, it could be a cooker circuit with lighting connected to it, and if they aren't fused appropriately..... :eek:

The wires that aren't connected look as if they have been deliberately cut off and just left there. Has someone disconnected a hardwired free standing cooker and replaced it with an oven that has been plugged in? Who knows, it needs a good dose of looking at.

I don't recall the OP stating that they had done the wiring ? If you don't know what it should look like how would they know its wrong ?
Perhaps they thought i'll ask the nice people on DIYnot for help :) !

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back