Help needed with insulation please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I am in the process of building a new tropical fish room. I would of liked to build it in block and kingspan insulate the cavity but this is out of my price range, what I am asking is what would you guys build it out of and what insulation would you use it will be 30ft by 10 ft on a Insulated base, sand, DPM 50mm kingspan concrete and a mesh if that is right? I was thinking of using a concrete sectional garage battoned out and insulated? The most important thing is that its very well insulated, all ideas are welcome,please help.

Sponsored Links
Polystyrene.
You can buy it in sheet form from most builders merchants.

I was thinking of using a concrete sectional garage battoned out and insulated? .
This is possibly the worst type of construction you could actually do. Either timber framed or single skin blockwork + very thick polystyrene will be far easier than trying to insulate a concrete sectional garage.

Would the timber frame not rot with the condensation caused by the large temp differances insid to outside the temp inside has to be around 25?

Sponsored Links
why do you think you need a timber frame? You can get bonded foam/plasterboard made by Kingspan.

You will need a vapour barrier on the room side to prevent warm, moist indoor air reaching the wall. This is often done using foil-backed plasterboard but you must tape all joints and seal any gaps at floor and ceiling.

Speaking from experience, tropical fish enclosures (ie in aquariums) running at 25°C require air conditioning to remove the moisture. Otherwise you are gonna face the condensation no matter what you do or how you build it. A good vapour barrier should protect the timber structure if that was the route you went.

Going back to initial post, pre-fab garages just do not lend themselves to adding insulation easily, that is the reason for avoiding them in this situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back