Insulation installation

4 Sep 2015
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi....a few questions regarding insulation and what type to go for.

My build will consist of facing bricks 100mm cavity and then blocks. The ties ive order are the type which getting cemented on to the blocks. If i went for a kingspan sheet type insulation does this just push over the ties? or do holes need to be made obvioulsy reducing its effectivness? A 100mm cavity would this take 100mm kingspan or am i better off with 75mm or 50mm and leaving a cavity?
Or is rockwool ok filling the whole cavity which i guess is easier to fit over the ties?

Thanks with any help
Sponsored Links
Has this job been drawn/designed etc?

Dritherm full fill insulation is the simplest way to construct a cavity wall whilst achieving latest thermal reg's.
No drawings got a friend doing the build in a few weeks so im ordering materials in. Just trying to work out the best options. Cheers ill look into the dritherm full fill
Sponsored Links
To a certain extent! He doesn't start for two weeks so im just doing as much research before we start...don't want to keep hounding him! He's very competent and im his skivvy for the build. Its a 4m x 4m single storey vaulted roof family/cinema room.
Any rigid board will need a cavity as well. See the manufacturers guide for whatever product you chose. You'll need specific ties and clips too

The blockwork will also need to be built first. And this generally needs more skill and care, so ensure the brickie is up to it.
Sure he's up to it...if not i may be posting in the DIY disasters forum next month!!!
On that note how many diyers build extensions without proper plans? We'll sketch rough plans on the back of a beer mat of course
On that note how many diyers build extensions without proper plans?
No problem there, but do your research.
Partial fill is a more difficult (PITA!) way to build an extension. This is typical of an instance where lack of experience could catch a DIYer out. If you are DIYing, look for the simplest way to build or employ someone who has plenty of experience themselves.

I can look at a drawing for an hour or so and will tut and shake my head prolly a dozen times.o_O
On that note how many diyers build extensions without proper plans?

I don't know, but as long as the builder is clued up, and the work relatively standard there would be no problem. I'd recommend it to anyone on this basis

It does give an element of freedom to buy the materials you want and design or change design to what you want. The main head scratching tends to come from the knock through and sitting beams and support piers, everything else is straightforward. But if you plan ahead it should be fine.

Just check your drain layout, and plan for those in the foundations, and check ownership and if you need the water authority's permission to build over/close to them
Erm, so.. There are these things called building inspectors..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links